• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

first squirrel hunt of the year.(very graphic)

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

silent sniper

40 Cal.
Reaction score
(9/4/09)
first squirrel hunt of the year
weapon:thompson center 45 caplock
load:30 grains FFF,hornady .440 ball,denium patch lubed in deer tallow.
it was a very nice day for my first squirrel hunt of the year. it was mid 70s with a little breeze. i loaded up the 45,slipped on my moccasins,and went out into the woods. I snuck around for 20-30 min until i came up to a big mast tree.it was raining nut shells. I looked and looked but just could not locate the squirrel. I was giving up and I started to walk away. I took one last look at the tree. thats when I saw it. I thought it couldnt be.But it was.There in the fork of a limb I saw a orange bushy tail drapped down from the fork. I quickly thought of my plan.I was going to sneek around to the side of the tree to see if I could see the squirrel's head. I snuck around and all i saw was the tail and a knot sticking up off of the limb. Thats when I relized that the knot wasnt a knot in the tree. It was the squirrels head ! I cocked the hammer,set the set trigger, rested the gun against the tree and prepared for the difficult shot. I aimed at the bottom of the squirrels head and squeezed the trigger. the gun belched and through the smoke I saw the squirrel land 15 yards away . I walked up and was pleased to see I had made a perfect head shot and didnt waste any meat. I headed toward the cow pasture. when I got out of the woods I was thinking about going home. Then I relized that i dont know how much I will get to squirrel hunt this year,so I decided to go back in2 the woods. I hadnt gone 10 yards when I saw a red squirrel directly above me. It ran up a limb and then jumped to another limb. The shot was straight up. i cocked the hammer,set the trigger,then waited to see what the squirrel was going to do. Then all of a sudden I saw a little head stick out over the limb looking at me. I aimed at the tiny target and pulled the trigger. The squirrel clutched the limb for a couple secs,then fell to the ground,almost landing on me. It was a very good hunt and I made my way back to the house. I put the squirrels on the skinning board. As I began my first skinning cuts, a breeze blew. I stopped and thought about what a good day I had and how good this season is going to be. In the distance, I heard a squirrel cutting a nut.Enjoy SS
DSCF1040.jpg

DSCF1041.jpg

entrence hole
DSCF1046.jpg

DSCF1042.jpg

entrence hole
DSCF1045.jpg

:bow: Great shooting. Really gave them a hell of a head ache. Thanks for the story and pics. We have to wait another month and half to kill tree-rats here in Pennsyltucky :cursing:. Your post will help to ease the pain.

:applause: Great story and pics - thanks for sharing. Way to go!

:hatsoff:
Spot

Way to go! Keep up the good writing and thanks for the pictures. I'm determined to throw up some squirrel pics myself before the season ends!

Back