• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

First time build

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mastrsgt

40 Cal.
Reaction score
I will be retiring in about a month and would like to build my first gun. My experiaence at this point is a GP pistol that was more an assemby thant a build. It came out pretty good and is a lot of fun to shoot. I need some suggestions for a first build.

I would like a Lancaster style flintlock rifle. I have looked at TOTW, Pecatonica, TVM and Chambers for a kit.

I know Chambers is the choice of many here but are they something a first time builder can handle and create a decent gun?

I don't want to screw up a good kit.

Time will be something I have plenty of. I have Alexander's book and will get what ever videos are available as well.

Don R

Not to worry. I put together 4 rifles & bunch of pistols before I ever tried a kit, & it was a Getz kit. Probably same as Chambers, since they seem to work together. The stock was so well done that it would have been almost impossible to screw up the overall architecture.

The Alexander book is a good reference; I used his magazine articles for years. My first guide was "Recreating the Longrifle", don't recall author, but it was very helpful, as was a BP gunsmith friend. Go for a good kit, take your time, read all you can before you cut, & make sure you understand how the barrel/lock/vent (if flint) are related. Couple good posts here on that.

Incidentally, my first rifle I call "Ol' Firewood", 'cause if I messed it up I could always toss the stock in the fireplace & start over. Been shooting it for 30 years now.

IMHO, Go For It !! I suggest Jim Chambers or Dunlaps Woodcrafts. Both are good kits, get the Entire Kit from the same place......... I also suggest getting the best grade wood you can afford. Never have had anyone complain about having "Too Nice" a wood......... But have heard many say they wish they had went the extra 100 or more for a super stock........

:thumbsup:

i'd go with the Jim Chambers, and the suggestion that you sping for the extra grade wood is a very good one.

i am confident that you will find the overwhelming majority of purveyors to be absolutely first rate in terms of customer service and overall value- for- money. Jim's reputation as a straight up dealer is unquestioned, as is Dick Greensides at Pecatonica.

good luck, remember to go slow and have fun.

msw

I picked up the building videos from Chambers when I ordered some of his stock finish. It shows all the important steps and made me realize that building one of his kits is really not beyond most of us. The things I worried the most about were shown and explained in a way that made a simple job of them. I highly recommend getting the videos before deciding on a kit.

Thanks for the encouragement. I think I'll get the video Plink mentioned before I commit to the cost of a Chambers kit. I will probably go with Chambers since there have been so many strong statements about his quality on the list.

Don R

Other than the engraving, I just completed my first build - a Chambers .54Cal British sporting rifle kit. I did spend a little extra for a select walnut stock - no regrets. I had the butt portion left unprofiled for a 15 inch pull. I'm also retired and spent way more time with the build than most of the folks who are regular contributors here. With a raise, I now pay myself $0.50/hr. I had selected the cast steel components. If I were to build this same rifle again, I think that I would choose brass. The steel provoked many naughty words at times. Overall, I'm pleased with the finished rifle yet to be fired (Rice barrel).

Any one have an opinion on which builing video is the best?
Chambers? Ehlert? Other?

Back