• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

first time out with new gun!

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FlintlockJonny

36 Cal.
Reaction score
Alas, no pictures to ensue. I realized I need to calm my nerves, relax and get better at not flinching. To my defense, the terrain was thick and my shot may have deflected of a branch!

First day of Pa Flintlock I was hunting in Crawford County near Erie at a friends cabin. I saw one doe early, along with a turkey and coyote. There was about 12 inches of fresh snow on the ground. Around 9am I decided to take a walk following a well used deer trail. Slowly walking along, I came across a small doe on the other side of a downed tree. She didn't notice me and she was quite small, so I decided not to shoot. It was nice just watching a deer from 10 yards away without her knowing I was there. When she turned to walk, she was limping and I noticed a bullet would to her leg. I decided to do the ethical thing, and kill and tag her as it would be hard for her to trek the deep snow in the winter. Hard decision to make filling the tag on the first day for a small deer, but what goes around comes around! Due to the thick, it was hard to get a shot, but once she turned, I fired. She didn't even move. and then continued to eat. I reloading while she moved further down behind the log. I had a chance to set up along the trail from a kneeling position and as soon as she came out from behind the log, saw me and took off like a rocket! SOME BUM LEG! She even evaded shot from another veteran hunter further up the woods! Must be determined to stay alive!

During Lunch at the cabin snowmobilers went down the street and flushed out two that ran across the front field so after lunch I began pursuit. Around 1 pm I walked up an an older, more mature doe that seems to have just woke up! Again, I found myself behind a log, kneeling very low, and couldn't get a good shot. After about 5 minutes of waiting, I stood in a crouching position took aim and fired at her head, which was the only thing visible. Again to no avail, possibly my shaky stance. She didn't move much, so I tried best to reload my nearly 54" gun from my knees. Once I stood up after losing sight of her, she took off. No blood trail.

These are my first two deer firing at with a flintlock, it just goes to show that shooting at the range is no where near the same as at a deer in the woods!

And for some humor, shortly after I took my last shot, I found a nice spot to stand. My back was beginning to stiffen up so I set my gun down and decided to do some toe touches. I bent over, and with my head down between my legs, I turned my head and three doe came slowly trotting by at about 20 yards away. :surrender: Had I been ready, I quick whistle would have gotten them to turn and a clean shot with no brush in the way would have been made! Oh well, I still have a week and a half left!

Day two was full of squirrels.

Seeing you in my mind's eye touching your toes to stretch your back then seeing game reminds me of Monday. :wink: I was rabbit hunting and near the end of the afternoon my back was killing me. So I squatted down leaning foreward to stretch my back muscles. Wouldn't ya know Mr wabbit hops out 15 feet away. Off balance squatting on my tip toes, naturally no shot, just laughter.

Sounds like you are having fun.

Please consider not shooting at deers heads.
So many get away with smashed jaws from this.

Best wishes :hatsoff:

Brits.

I wonder if the loss rate for that shot is any worse than the shot in the gut from to far away or other poor choices, I have taken a few Deer with head shots when my eyes were good and aim was excellant and never lost one but the conditions had to be perfect to consider taking the shot always a rest and very close range and a still animal were tops on the list.I hear a lot of people proudly talking of shooting the the poop shute, for me I would feel better about a close head shot but all have different views on what is a good or bad choice.

The second deer was one I wish I would have waited and risked being noticed to get a cleaner shot. I guess I just got antsy!

tg, by no means am I suggesting someone should not take a head shot on deer.
A poor shot can and do gut shoot deer and it is a shame, the trouble with head shots is how fast their heads can turn.
Some experienced hunters can determine when a critter is about to move or remain still.
I have seen this many times, friends taking a shot when I'm thinking no not yet because to me the animal looks like it is about to move and many times it has.
I have head shot deer, usually when they are glued to me after they have busted me, when they are oblivious and going about their buisness theirs heads are swiveling around left and right, up and down way to fast in my humble opinion.

I wish everyone the best of luck in their hunt. The times I have seen hunters sadend because they shot a jaw up I wish on no one.

Best wishes to all.

Brits.

Scan_Pic0001-9.jpg

This spike was with a forkie and about 50 yards from a ranch fence, and that's where he would run if shot. I couldn't get a shot at the forkie, he saw me move, and went down into the timber. My only chance was a head shot, about 20 yards, with my Cabela's Hawken and Great Plains bullet with 100 grs. RS. See the hole just in front of the ear?

Back