• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

First Time Shooting A Flintlock

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Goose

32 Cal.
Reaction score
I received my new flintlock about 2 weeks ago, but was too busy to make it to the range. Yesterday I made it and all I can say is WOW! Really fun. The rifle is a copy of a JJ Henry Scrollguard made by Steve Losey. Has a 44" Rice barrel in .54. I posted some photos in the photo section, but if you missed it see below.

I used a .530 ball with a lubed .010 patch and 70 grains of FFG as a starting load and FFFFG as a priming powder. I set up a target at 50 yards just to see what my new rifle could do. I ended up firing 12 shots off the bench with a damp wipe of the bore in between each shot. Below is a picture of my target.

The top hole was my first shot followed by the next 3 moving downward till I got the hang of it. The one ragged hole is 8 consecutive shots. I could not be happier with my rifles performance. I am so hooked. Next time I will move it out to 100 yards and start figuring out what she can do.

Nice, Goose!

How noticeable was the delay between the primer and the main charge? (Fhoote - boom.) I have a flintlock pistol that is pretty bad, and is a flinch machine, at least for me. I have a .50 cal rifle, with a Chambers lock that is better.

Great looking rifle! :hatsoff: Critters in your neck of the woods better start keeping a low profile!

Gun and groups look great.

I hunt with a 54, just enough ball to say overkill, which is much better than underkill.

With those groups, you can play around more with powder. However, I think you're doing good.

Personally, I prefer FFFg. Seems to keep the guns cleaner. Also, that 70gr FFg charge would probably produce the same velocity with only 55-60gr of FFFg.

Curious, whose powder your using?

Keep that lock and tumbler cleaned and lubed and it'll live a long life.

hey, look, everybody, another one turned to the dark side!

nice looking rifle, and by the way, very good shooting (especially for a first group) ...

Bambi and his buddies are in trouble fer sure this season ...

keep making good smoke!

Wow that's a great target. I can't wait to see your 100 yard target!

I love the simple looks of that rifle! Wish I had one just like it! :hatsoff:

Back