• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

First time shooting the Flintlock

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alaskasmoker

40 Cal.
Reaction score
So got this T/C pennsylvania with a green mountain .54 smooth barrel in the mail yesterday. Well I just had to try her out today, since it was also the first day in weeks that it has been above zero. Actually it was 45 out!! Really windy though.

Anyway, My very first time ever firing a flintlock was today. I missed my first rabbit. My second shot I got one. Then somehow I missed a third. So not two bad. 1 for 3 with the new gun.

Quite a delay in firing. Follow through is important.

Here is a couple of pics. The mountain was behind me, but my photographer didnt get it in the pic. The moose antlers I found too, wind probably blew them off the moose last night! Nothing big. He might be legal to shoot next year though if he gets a 3rd brow tine.
flintlockrabbit.jpg

mountain.jpg

Welcome to the world of flintlocks. A well tuned gun shouldn't have any delay. I hope you shot a target first and didn't just "sight in" on bunnies.

Congrats :hatsoff: Sounds like ya had a good time.
I gotta get me one of them flintlocks. First I gotta get back to work though, so I`ve got some play $$ again :(

Matt,
You went north, eh? Last night we drove back to Girdwood and were just about blown off the road a few times. Today the wind is howling and they closed Alyeska. How's the build coming along? Tonight I'm going to work on the entry pipe on my 54cal full stock flint Hawken. Wish me luck....

As Swampy says, once you get things dialed in, there wont be a delay worth thinking about. I have often had caplock shooters try my flintlock and be amazed at how quick it could be. Good smoke, Ron

Gotta thank ROUNDBALL too for giving me the load data for shotloads. My gun with 70 grains of powder and 80 "grains" of #6 shot and using two oxyoke wads only for over powder made great patterns out to 20 yards.

Ill have to look into how to tune my lock. I have seen some stuff written on the subject but nothing in laymans terms! I have a hard time trying to figure out the angle of the dangle and such.

That's excellent...I love my .54 smoothie !

Do you know if your Flintlock has the old style lock and vent liner or the new style?
If you have the old style components that could be some or all of your delay right there.

If you're not sure, can you post a closeup of the lock and vent liner area?

Both are the old style...TC redesigned/improved both in the loate 90's.
To make a point, I'll say this:
Shooting mine with Goex 4F prime, 3F main, and TC's new style locks & liners is like shooting a .30-30
:thumbsup:

OLD STYLE TC FLINT LOCK ASSEMBLY...note severe "S" shape to hammer, and the "notch" in the back edge of the hammer at about 12 o'clock right above the hammer mounting screw...also, the hammer is quite short with the bottom jaw just barely clearing the "fence"...and the frizzen is case colored.

TCFlintlockOldStylecloseuprightside.jpg

NEW STYLE TC FLINT LOCK ASSEMBLY”¦note much more gentle “S” curve shape (and no notch), it’s much taller with the lower jaw clearing much higher above the fence, the frizzen is solid jet black color.

PS: Also note TC's huge new style vent liner which you’ll want to get”¦$4-$5 for a two pack.

SAVE5CLOSEUPNewStyleLockArea800REDU.jpg

Looks like you were out on the Hay Flats if'n I'm not mistaken. Sure looks like Twin Peaks in the photo. Good year for snowshoes...the cycle is just about peak. Great luck finding both sheds on the same trip too!

I almost like shooting my smoothy more than my rifles...don't shoot enough to be able to compete against the likes of NoHorn and Pat Reed...
You'll have a lot of fun with yours too Matt.

Now, since the cold and wind has kept me from venturing out much of late, I'll just have to see how soggy it gets with mini-breakup going on this week. Good hunting.

Thats where I was. You know that is my 4th or 5th trip out there. There has been little pockets of rabbits here and there, but for the most part, I think the population there has dwindled since last year.

My buddy that was with me kept saying that "today is a great day to spot some sheds". I found those sheds 50 yards from where I shot that rabbit.

There is alot of rubs new and old in there. Ive been meaning to do a moose hunt there, but just never seem to. I bet the bugs and swamp would make for a uncomfortable hunt. Plus in the summer it is really thick in there.

Who's your partner? He looks like he had fun on your hunt.
Good Luck,
Dusty
And Welcome to the world of flash in the pan.

Thats ol' kate the pointer. She is more of a hinderance than anything. But if you get a bad shot off and just wing one of them rabbits she'll get it real quick. I have seen her catch them even when they werent winged. That pointer could give greyhounds a run for there money!

My beagle is the main help on rabbit hunts but he never sits still for a picture!

Congrats on the bunny and sheds, now you have the makins for some accesories. Me amd akhawkeye went out hunting yesterday, very windy in the little -su drainage. akhawkeye just got a new flint smoothbore for his birthday, and on the first hunt bagged a grouse. They were few and far between with the high winds. only saw 1 bird and hes in the freezer.

Back