• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

First time turkey hunter

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Practice patterning your gun and the conservative use of turkey calls. Do not call a lot. I gave up using decoys years ago. I have shot 2 coyotes that were after my decoys but rarely a turkey over them. Good camo and face mask, sit still and watch and wait. They have a tendency to surprise you when you least expect it. We roost them the night before and then go into that area very early in the dark. Good luck.

Don't know how you intend to setup your hunt but I'll tell you how a friend and I do it. We work as a team one caller, one shooter. Caller sets up behind the shooter with the decoys. It's not uncommon for a smart old tom strut his stuff out a 70 or 80 yds but if the shooter is between the two it'll be a turkey dinner. However both need to have a gun because sometimes the bird will slip in behind the caller.

Don't know how you intend to setup your hunt but I'll tell you how a friend and I do it. We work as a team one caller, one shooter. Caller sets up behind the shooter with the decoys. It's not uncommon for a smart old tom strut his stuff out a 70 or 80 yds but if the shooter is between the two it'll be a turkey dinner. However both need to have a gun because sometimes the bird will slip in behind the caller.
I used this same strategy for years hunting elk.

Mouth calls are great and very versatile, but box calls are deadly. My box is my primary call and gets birds talking when nothing else will. I hunt western birds (Merriams) so it my be different with the Eastern sub-species, but the birds I have hunted gobble more during the time of the full moon then at other phases and conversely are more quiet during the new moon. I believe the lunar cycle doesn’t affect birds as much that aren’t pressured. Look for footprints. Turkey scat is great, but can stay around for a really long time. Footprints let you know birds are currently in the area. Camo is critical. After you kill some birds you can wear your regular clothes to make it harder if you want. Head to toe. You can stalk a turkey but it’s more fun, safer and more productive to call them in. Hunt turkey with your ears, not with your eyes. If you are walking and can see the turkey, it probably already saw you a long time ago and has you on it’s list of stuff to avoid. A “hung” up turkey IMO is a bird that spotted you and is waiting for the hen that is making noises (actually you) to come towards him away from you. Other animals in the woods rat you out.

Learn about camouflage. Use it. A turkey has eyes and can tell what they are looking at, even if you don't move, unlike a deer. They also have the ability to melt into the ground once they bust you.

I use a box call as for some crazy reason I cannot get the hang of mouth calls and they actually make me gag. My hunting partner is great with the mouth calls and I should have mentioned we hunt as partners as others have stated. In NY we can only hunt until noon. Not sure what the Pa rules are. Once they see you forget it so stay still and well camouflaged. Here is my first flintlock turkey. I used a 20 gauge NE Fowler. Funny to see us go out as I have a flintlock and he only uses the most modern stuff with special turkey chokes and every technical device Cabela's sells.

IMG_0718.JPG

@GANGGREEN
hits it on the head. Call less, a lot less.
With loud calls.
If you get a gobble in response, stop any loud calling.
But, hen turkeys are rarely completely silent. I think this is where a slate/pot call shines,,, or, someone really, really dialed in with a mouth call. Very soft clucks and purrs, so soft they seem pointless, and some soft scratching in the leaf litter buy you side mimics a content feeding hen. It can bring that tom just that much closer, or, if the toms are henned up, bring his girlfriend in with him following. I put the pot call on the ground to my right so I can work it quietly with just my right hand, keeping the front stock on my left knee and left hand in position.

If you get a hen yelpng back at you when you help, before fly down, and it sounds like she is in with the gobblers, cut her off. Every time she yelps, yelp right over her, interrupt her. Piss her off.
Get her to come looking for a fight.

I do disagree on camo. I've seen many guys kill birds, every year, in an earth tone plaid shirt, brown duck pants and random hat. But, they covered their hands, and a couple of them their face. And, they set up with either a very large tree, is large thick clump up brush, behind them, and barely moved.

A friend, the caller, and I had this very thing happen on a hunt; and it was two jakes. He couldn't turn without scaring them off and I couldn't shoot as he was in the line of fire. Had to settle for this one.

Never hunted them, so no tips from me, but good luck. And of all else fails, they go on sale at the local grocery store a week before Thanksgiving.
It's exciting hunting turkey one of the few game that you talk to other then elk. Hearing a quarry come to your call is one of the most heart pumping hunts you can do.

I love turkey hunting. Been at it for a lot of years. It's more exciting for me than deer hunting. I use pot calls and mouth calls. When I hear one gobbling kinda far off, I'll get real aggressive in my calling, then as ole Tom gets closer, I shut right up. He knows exactly where you are, so just be quiet. I have the gun shouldered, braced on my knee ready for the shot. Keep your eyes open, watch for movement.
When the shot comes, put the bead right on his head. Don't take body shots at turkeys! Head shot only.
Good luck to you.

Back