• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Flash In The Pan

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smoothy

40 Cal.
Reaction score
It finally happened to me. A buck in my sights, just on the outer reaches of my 20 gauge fowler and I get a flash in the pan. First time since hunting with a flintlock. I'm not looking for a fix from anybody, or sympathy. Just venting. Dadburnit. After 5 years of shooting does and button bucks and shooting it out after a weekend of hunting, always went off. Target practicing, always went off. No I don't have a vent liner and I still don't want one. But dangnabbit.Looks like rain tomorrow. I'm thinking my 54 TC Renegade is itching to get out. I believe I'll scratch that itch. Thanks for listening.

it happens,,,but certainly the timing stunk! I once dropped the hammer 3 times on a buck..he jus stood an watched the doe....let me set that frizzen an hammer twice before off they went! lol..part of the
flinter experience !!

Sorry to hear that happened to you. I used to have problems with my old TC lock style all the time; it really was a problem and I just thought it was normal for a flintlock when I was just starting out. The new lock design has not let me down yet and it has hundreds of shots on it so far and they replaced them free of charge.

I had several deer that I took after the lock clicked 2 and 3 times before it fired. After the 2nd or 3rd click all the shakes and wobbles were gone and I would put a good shot on it. LOL.

My son and I were in good cover along the edge of an open area. The buck was on my side and after my main charge failed to light I pulled him over to shoot. Although the buck was only 35-40 yards my son couldn't see it through the cover. He finally left. And then later about 4 does came into the opening and pranced and bounced around so it would have been comical to watch me bob my barrel around following one of them. Ah, but I let'em all go. I still want the buck. Been a steady rain this morning, seen 6 does over in the property. Tonight I expect that one of the three of us will get a deer (me and two sons).

Same thing happened to me the 1st day of Rifle season this year.Someone on here called it "Flash and Release". :shake:

I done that same thing on opening day a few years ago, after the first flash, the buck ran off. I recharged the pan, and sure enough, it lit the charge the second try,, of course!!! I didn't see another buck the rest of that season, of course!! Welcome to the flintlock world of hunting---leebone

You're right. It was still a memory maker. You should have heard the jabber on the way home that night. Went out tonight with two sons. Got to our hunting grounds with a young buck watching us. Of course by the time we were loaded up he gave us a tail wave. I was sure we'd see more tonight like last night. But that was the only one.

Problem Child said:
Same thing happened to me the 1st day of Rifle season this year.Someone on here called it "Flash and Release". :shake:

Well, at least it wasn't Klatch and Release... :haha:

Better luck next time to both of ya.

I flash panned several squirrels over the years. But worst so far was the one and only shot I've had at a coyote. The pan flashed, the pup looked directly at the little cloud over my head and I'm sure I heard him say "Momma told me what to do if this happens...RUN!!!"

Had that happen years ago with a CVA Mountain rifle in percussion. :cursing:

My frineds wife had it happen this year on a buck with a centerfire! :shake:

TinStar
Soli Deo Gloria!

Back