• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Flashcups - worthwhile?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yanqui

32 Cal
Reaction score
I’m asking this from the perspective of a hunter. I know a flashcup will protect the barrel and wood over time from burned powder. But as a hunter, even though I’m extremely careful to protect the lock area from wet weather, it seems to me a flashcup is like a funnel and moisture could get into the nipple area a little easier. I doubt a little moisture in the cup would cause an issue with a protected cap but why even think about it? Any thoughts?

I had one on a Traditions Shenandoah for a while, thing worked OK but got in the way of seating the cap all the way against the nipple from a Cash capper, I never hunted with it, yanked it off and threw it out.

I have a neat little .45 percussion that I affixed a cup to. I have yet to see any downside to using the little device.

On my Perdersoli there are flash cups that block the caps from throwing hot particles back towards my eyes and face. My left hand being forward on the forearm gets hit with the hot material from the cap and is borderline uncomfortable when I shoot the left barrel. I would want to have protection for my face, even if I was wearing safety glasses. I’m not a wuss, but I believe the hot particles on my face would make me rather shoot my modern shotgun instead.

Back