• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Flasks

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chronos

32 Cal.
Reaction score
In the near history; 80's - latter, the idea of bring a flask of Whiskey on the field seemed acceptable. Orvis and LL Bean have changed their view. While Orvis had flasks for hunters and fisherman, they now have flasks for golfers but not true sportsman.

I guess the former outfitters of true sportsmen have gone P.C.

Well its mainly because of legal issues. Most states outlaw the use of alcohol with weapons when hunting. For some reason they dont feel its safe for a guy to sit under a tree sipping 8 ounces of 40 percent alcohol from 630 am to 630 pm.. But they feel its safe to let 13 year olds take a semi automatic 30-06, 240 win mag and bigger to go run thru the forest and shoot 8-9 rounds at every thing that moves, be it a shadow of a deer or a shadow of a guy, or a real deer or real person.

Welcome to the world of the political Nazi Nanny. No longer are we allowed to use our common sense that tells us its safe to drink a few ounces of wine/whiskey/beer with our beef tongue sandwich for lunch when the deer are sleeping breakfast off and your in need of some warmth.

My Dad had a little 8'x8' shack with a small chunk stove a table with chairs and two bunks. When it was cold we'd repair there and let the stove warm us. He didn't hold with wiskey while huntin'. I believe he was right. Imagine somethin' goin' terribly wrong and the leo findin' alcohol on your breath. Somebody's family could end up with an indentured servant. :master:

Mr. Slamfire,
While what you say is true, really don't like for others to intrude that much into my personal life! It is just NONE of their business. But that is the way the U.S. is today. :( Common sense still prevails in much of the rest of the world.
Best Wishes

:redface:

I have a steel hip flask that was at one time used at the end of December pheasant drives to "fortify the constitution" before moving to the next field.

No more, boy howdy. Occasionally I carry water in it if I am just out for a few hour hunt.

But a shot of whiskey in a cup of hot coffee once you get home and plop down sure makes the world a better place to be.

Mr. Slamfire,
While what you say is true, really don't like for others to intrude that much into my personal life! It is just NONE of their business. But that is the way the U.S. is today. :( Common sense still prevails in much of the rest of the world.
Best Wishes

While what your drink while armed ain't none of my business as long as you're in Alaska and I'm in East Tennessee, I'd not like to get closer while you're doin' it.

Stump,

You and I are on the same trail here.

I will really enjoy a good beer once I am back at the camp cleaning the kill or the equipment. A touch of something stronger beside the fire after everything else is done -- even better.

CS

I still got one too, given to me by an old hunter who doesn't roam these woods anymore. Holds about 3 oz. of your favorite "fortifier" and one nice size corona. Used to use it soon as I shot and before I field dressed. A smoke and a toast to the old man who passed it on to me. Gave up the cigars years back and the brandy went soon after. I settle for a cup of coffee and a snack now in their place.
Never saw any reason to over-react though. Even today 3 oz of the strongest firewater ain't gonna make me shoot anything I don't mean to shoot.
Finnwolf

It's interesting how things have changed over the times and what was once acceptable and considered normal is now taboo. Our values and beliefs changes with the time and not necessarily for the better.

I'm old enough to remember when both Abercrombie & Fitch as well as Eddie Bauer sold guns and were real outfitters and not fashion clothiers.

For hunting, my own personal belief towards alcohol & guns doesn't arise from any moral principle or legal obligation. I have no tolerence for alcohol. Headaches and no buzz is no fun. Yep, I'm a sissy. :redface:

"Yep, I'm a sissy. :redface: "

Mr. Gary,
No sir, not at all. You seem to be a gentleman of exceptional common sense. As for myself and alcohol, moderation is the key for enjoyment without danger (or embarassment) for myself or to others.
Best Wishes

My Father was a drunk. There is just no better term for it. He drank while hunting to the point of falling down. When I was 26 I did the meanest thing anyone could do...I took his gun away from him and made him sit in camp. After he sobered up, I showed him the Super 8 Movie with Sound (Video tape hadn't been invented yet). Dad was so embarrased he quit drinking for a while. But his drinking caught up with him again as a couple of years ago he died of liver problems caused by alchol.
When I was 45 I was hunting with my neighbor and a friend. At 2:00PM they were falling down drunk and a rifle went off. We burried the dog that day. It could have been something else. I won't hunt with these people anymore. Now I am 54. When I go hunting, shooting or whatever, I have one rule. When the guns are out, the booze is not. When the guns are cleaned and put away, then a little of the grape is good for the soul. If this rule bothers my hunting partner, I look for a new hunting partner. I am not against drinking, just don't mix it with gun powder!

Mr. Merdean,
Must agree with you on several points. No one has any business handling a fire arm (or much of anything else for that matter) in that condition. And yes, it is a terrible tragedy when an innocent party must pay the price for the stupidity of others. You certainly have every right to set the standard for your hunting camp and expect others to abide by such, or go elsewhere.
I would not tolerate a DRUNK or dangerous behavior (unsafe handling of firearms for instance) at my campfire either. Life is too short for such needless problems.
Best Wishes

Mr. Merdean,
Must agree with you on several points. No one has any business handling a firearm (or much of anything else for that matter) in that condition. And yes, it is a terrible tragedy when an innocent party must pay the price for the stupidity of others. You certainly have every right to set the standard for your hunting camp and expect others to abide by such, or go elsewhere.
I would not tolerate a DRUNK or dangerous behavior (unsafe handling of firearms for instance) at my campfire either. Life is too short for such needless problems.
Best Wishes

Thanks.
But I still miss my Dad. When he was sober, was a kind man and a good teacher. He taught me to shoot, to track and to cook and eat what I kill. He was there when I shot my first rabbit, first deer, first elk, first lion. He was with me in spirit when I shot my first boar, first squirrel. I can hear his voice in my mind: "Steady, steady. Squeeeze the trigger". His teachings were why I took his gun away. I was doing what he taught me to do. I was following his teachings when I refused to help dig the hole for the dog. The idiots that killed the dog should have to bury it. But I miss him still.

Well....to be honest..this kinda goes with the drinking and driving thing. In other words..self control...some folks have it..others don't. While there may be a law against it in some states...and I haven't checked in my state, this idea of needing a law to control what should be a individuals responsibility...today, that is the norm. Years back I believe people were more responsible..at least those I had seen, both in the field and behind the wheel. So...I guess it is kinda up to each individual. Now, regarding those who cannot control[url] themselves..in[/url] camp or in the field..not the type I would want to be around in the first place.

Last edited by a moderator:
Howdy...here in Nova Scotia we call guys who go out in the woods and 'kill' every tree they see, ever sound they hear and every shadow they bump into Wal-Mart hunters. They are the guys who have 200 rounds of ammo for a week long hunt, when in fact only 5 or ten rounds would be needed. They are the guys who shoot cows (some farmers are now spray painting the word 'cow' on their critters in fluorescent orange paint) and themselves. They are the fellows who shoot a deer and take only a few steaks and leave the rest to rot in the woods. I am glad I no longer shoot heavy calibre MODERN guns. I shoot a .62 cal smoothie. Having only one shot available for a kill makes me slow down, take a few breathes, breathe and look around to verify what I am seeing and then if all seems well... I fire.
There was an issue a year ago whereby someone on a site asked if they would wear a fluorescent F and I style weskit during hunting season. If the law says orange is the color you must wear... obey the law. Simple.Besides, no one would mistake you for a deer if they have any fashion sense at all!! :kid:

Latest posts

Back