• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Flint knapping hammer ?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't redress my flint while it's on the gun. I take it out and pressure flake a new edge, using the blade of one of the turn-screws from my shooting bag. It may take a little longer, but I'm generally not in a hurry anyway.

A simple little tool that's always in my pocket:
Easy to use:
- Press firmly the rounded end onto the flint edge to be re-sharpened.
- Slide.
- As you slide, the lathe-cut part will inevitably strike the edge of the flint and remove a small chip when passing.
No hammer, nothing but the strength of your fingers. ;)

Taille silex.jpg
(click on the image).

Last edited:
Never tried this but you got me thinking, how about a large bolt with a hex head, if you don't want the threads just take a belt sander and sand off the threads then on the shank end you could drill a hole say a1/8th back from the end and work a suitable notch there with a file. Might get out and do one see how it works. now if it works you have a small hammer and a flint flaker in one tool.

it's better to removet he flint and pressure flake a new edge
DSC03195.JPG
If you must knap a flint in place(in jaws)use a knapping awl and hold out of half cock, so you don't damage the half cock edge of
DSC03238 (2).JPG
tumbler , softly hitting/hammering top of awl while notched end on flint edge

I made this flint knapping tool out of an old screwdriver and a piece of copper. When a flint gets dull I first wipe then scrape the edge which usually prepares for a few more shots. After that I use the tool to knapp the flint edge for quite a few extra shots. I only knapp, usually, a couple of times then turn it over or replace it. I never throw away old flints because there's life left in them and they might work fine in a smaller lock. Sometimes a good flint will self knapp giving maybe a hundred plus shots until it's so small the cock jaws can't hold it.

I don't redress my flint while it's on the gun. I take it out and pressure flake a new edge, using the blade of one of the turn-screws from my shooting bag. It may take a little longer, but I'm generally not in a hurry anyway.
Yes, I usually pressure flake in the cock with a pop cycle stick under the lower edge supported with my pointer finger on the left hand but you will get a better edge out of the cock and on a padded hard surface. It also is less stressful to the cock arm with the flint removed.
I actually learned about pressure flaking from knapping arrow points and adapted it to gun flint sharpening once I saw how crude and wasteful banging on flint edges with a hammer is. Notchers are a bit better but still useless on the corners almost as bad as hammers.

Last edited:
I use a small hammer made out of a piece of brass rod with a small handle. It works great if you are shooting in competition or hunting and need a new edge in a limited time period. As mentioned above, place your index finger under the edge of the flint and tap lightly across the edge. Lock should be at half cock. Sometimes you don't have time to take the flint out for careful knapping.

OK...I'll chime in on this one. Lots of good advice above. I've used everything from those brass knapping hammers (they're good at using up flints, I agree) to the handy dandy hand forged screw driver I carry in my bag, even the spine of my belt knife. The other thing I've done is simply turn the flint upside down, retighten the cock jaw screw and fire maybe two more shots. Reinstall the flint right side up, and continue shooting. Provided the flint isn't too far gone, this method works and saves time in the short run.

Are there any good pressure flaking tutorials for gun flints? I've got some that need to be sharpened.

A simple little tool that's always in my pocket:
Easy to use:
- Press firmly the rounded end onto the flint edge to be re-sharpened.
- Slide.
- As you slide, the lathe-cut part will inevitably strike the edge of the flint and remove a small chip when passing.
No hammer, nothing but the strength of your fingers. ;)

View attachment 228112 (click on the image).
This^^^^^

Back