• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

flint lock pistol ID

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi guys, I am a newbie here to this site. I would like to seek some help with a flintlock pistol identifaction. I am unable to resize any of my picturres to this website yet. If I e-mailed another member my pictures so that they could be posted for all to view, would that be out of line?? Thanks Lee ---- [email protected]

It is virtually impossible to begin to guess what your pistol is without being able to see it.

If your photos are downloaded to your computer you should have no problem posting them here if you upload them to a site like Photobucket.

Follow this link for a good show and tell about posting your photos here. http://www.muzzleloadingforum.com/fusionbb/showtopic.php?tid/255033/

After clicking on the upper link at bioprof's site watch the vidio. It is well done and will tell you exactly what you need to do.

Last edited by a moderator:
well I must be the dumbest smokepole user in the land. because this hasn't been a no-problem exercise for me. I will endeavor to persevere in my quest to bring pictures to this site.

flintlockpistol006.jpg
fl
flintlockpistol016.jpg
intlockpistol017.jpg[
flintlockpistol015.jpg
/IMG]

Are there any proof marks or other identifying stamps on the barrel or on the lock?
Sometimes these are on the inside surface of the lockplate or on the bottom of the barrel.

It looks to be around a .69 caliber bore. Is this true?

Do you know anything about its history?

Now that I've merged the three Topics I think I have everything together here.

I might mention that it's a good idea to keep messing with a Topic that isn't quite right by hitting a "Reply" button rather than starting a whole new Topic that will need "merging" to the older somewhat defective topic. :)

It's a martial calibre pistol made by the London gun-maker John Prosser of No 9 Charing Cross, London - floreat CIRCA 1803-38. It says so on the barrel.

The proofs are London proofs of the era.

It is unlikely to have been used by either cavalry, dragoons or navy as it does not have the usual captive ramrod. Such arms usually had a so-called 'skull-smasher' butt plate or decoration for use when it had been fired.

tac

As tac says, a very good, albeit plain, pistol by one of the best London makers. This type are often referred to as "holster pistols", meaning it was one of a pair, meant to be carried in saddle holsters or "buckets." This would have been appropriate for any mounted officer, including cavalry officers but just as likely field grade officers of infantry or artillery, regimental adjutants, etc. Anyone who would be expected to be mounted in the regular course of his duties.

It could also have been carried in or on a coach and may have been the pistol of the coachman to a wealthy family. Very often the top end London makers supplied all the arms used by well to do families, including those carried by servants and family retainers like coachmen and game keepers.

Thank you Tac&JV Puleo-- I have looked for a very long time without success for any info about this pistol. I finally got DSL in my area and bought a computer which led me here. At last I feel confident about your information.Thank you again---Lee--

Back