• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Flint or Caps for squirrel rifle?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Skychief

69 Cal.
Reaction score
I need some advice.

I have a 32 caliber Douglas barrel that I intend to make a dedicated squirrel rifle with.

I had envisioned a halfstock percussion. Now I am wondering if I should build a fullstock flintlock rifle with it.

Again, I intend to build my "go to" squirrel rifle. Remember the target will be a grey squirrel head way up in the treetops at times.

The barrel is 42" long and 13/16th". So, I have plenty of length for a fullstock flinter or can shorten it for a halfstock percussion.

Which rifle would you build with this barrel, remembering it's intended use (squirrels, squirrels, squirrels)?

So you know, I have and shoot percussions and flintlocks now. I have been muzzleloading for ~25 years.

Please give me a nudge whatever your thoughts may be. I am driving myself nuts about what to build with this 32 caliber barrel.

HELP!!!!! :surrender: :idunno:

Skychief. :bow:

Seems I already answered this question....look you only have to please yourself so you build or have built what you feel best for you. :v

Build a flint gun.If you don't find satisfaction, then switch it to percussion. :v

Reflecting my own tastes, I'd put more thought into the rifle style than the lock. To me a fullstock just shouts Eastern squirrel hunting, though there were half stocks around, too.

But coming from the West and thinking purely squirrel, I just see a fullstock. That probably says flinter, too.

I've got a couple of small Colrain flint locks that are just begging to be used for a matched pair, probably 32 and 45 or some such. Even with my Western roots, those will be fullstocks.

Flintlocks are more fun, in my opinion. Since the barrel is 42", it wants a full stock. :wink:

Honestly, what do YOU like better, percussion or flintlock? Then, after you answer that question, ask yourself this one: What do YOU like better, full or half stock?

Fun problem to have, do let us know what you decide.

I think you need a flint lock pistol, cut off 10"
to make a pistol & send me the other 32"
The 36 switch barrel wabbit wifle that I'm working on could use another barrel & that would work just fine.
If you would rather have a shorter pistol that
would be fine too !

Never owned a percussion gun and don't intend to start now...Those little caps are simply a pain when all you have to do is prime and close the frizzen...

I'll muddy the waters with two points:
1) bragging rights to be able to say "I only shoot squirrels with a flintlock".

2) (and this is a very minor consideration) Some of your shots will likely be taken at a high angle. When the priming powder in a flinter does not ignite, and your rifle is pointed skyward, the unburned prime will be falling directly into your eyeball. Yes, there's sulfur in that powder, and it DOES sting. So my point is: can you handle having a squirrel laugh at you as you dance the "Hurts like *(#&^$%&*(@ jig?

trent/OH said:
Some of your shots will likely be taken at a high angle. When the priming powder in a flinter does not ignite, and your rifle is pointed skyward, the unburned prime will be falling directly into your eyeball. Yes, there's sulfur in that powder, and it DOES sting. So my point is: can you handle having a squirrel laugh at you as you dance the "Hurts like *(#&^$%&*(@ jig?

:shocked2: :shocked2: :shocked2:
:hmm: :hmm: :hmm:

Just slip a pair of glasses in your pocket for the high shots, they won't all be high,squirrels move a lot. More fun with a good flinter, shot my last two with one, no problem. :thumbsup: Dilly

Just wanted to say if you go with a convertion that you need to build it percusion first and then you can just take out the drum and put in a liner and all should be well. If you do it the other way around you might have some trouble getting the drum lined up depending on where the liner was placed. And FWIW I'm fixing to build a .40 flinter for small game and target. Flinters are fun.

Back