• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Flint size for a T/C Penn Hunter Carbine

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NewtoFlinters

Pilgrim
Reaction score
I just bought (used) a Penn Hunter Carbine. It did not come with a flint so I just used a spare T/C flint I have for the T/C Renegade. The flint seems too close to the frizzen, it almost touches it, maybe 1/64 of an inch away. When fired the flint flakes BIG time, it does spark well, but I will go through ALOT of flints. Does T/C make different size flints or better yet what size do any of you folks suggest?

I've used a number of T/C Flintlocks for years and the best flint I've found in T/C locks is the Tom Fuller black english flint in this size: 3/4" wide x 7/8" long
(There is a 3/4 x 3/4 version but the long one obviously gives longer flint life)

Flint positioning in T/C locks at half cock is with the edge all but touching the frizzen face.
They do best 'bevel up' when they're new and for most of their life.

Every now and then one will wear a little faster than another and after its worn down a little shorter from 30-40 shots, I'll sometimes flip it over (bevel down) to get them hitting higher on the frizzen again.

You want the flint edge to be hitting the frizzen with a slight downward shaving angle...not "straight on" square into the frizzen or your flints will shatter and wear out quickly.

Hope this is clear...

Roundball gave you solid advice. Flint positioning seems to be the "fly-in-the-ointment" for those new to flint locks. Be prepared to experiment.

You could also have the older TC lock. It the flint hits about half way down the frizen if it is the older style.. You can send the gun to TC for and upgrade. I just ordered the new hammer and frizen for mine improved the flash a lot.

Back