• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

flint size question

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pghrich

32 Cal.
Reaction score
i would like to try some tom fuller flints. i have a cabelas kentucky made by pedersoli.after looking on the tow website igot confused.can anyone out there who perhaps has a similar rifle/lock help me.the lock appears to be a little on the small side as compared to my gpr.
thank you very much pgh

pghrich said:
i would like to try some tom fuller flints. i have a cabelas kentucky made by pedersoli.after looking on the tow website igot confused.can anyone out there who perhaps has a similar rifle/lock help me.the lock appears to be a little on the small side as compared to my gpr.
thank you very much pgh
Usually flints are sized / ordered by the width of the frizzen...ie: my locks are medium sized TC locks with 3/4" wide frizzens and I use 3/4" wide Tom Fuller flints...3/4" wide (x 7/8 long).

(There is a 3/4" x 3/4" size but they have a shorter flint life then the 3/4" x 7/8" long)

Actually, you want to measure from the forward side of the cock screw, between the jaws, to the face of the frizzen when the cock is set on the half cock notch. The flint should sit back at least 1/16" when new from the frizzen. Allow for the thickness of the leather or lead wrap you use to hold the flint in the jaws of the cock. The width of the flint should be the same as the frizzen face is wide.

paulvallandigham said:
The width of the flint should be the same as the frizzen face is wide.

I disagree. :hmm: The flint should not be as wide as the frizzen. If this were true, all large Silers would use a 7/8" flint & they actually use a 3/4" flint. If the flint is as wide as the frizzen, you will be into the barrel all the time with the flint unless you have it adjusted exactly straight every time.

IMHO, the flint should be Up To as wide as the frizzen less 1/8" so you have some room to play.

:thumbsup:

I obviously don't have your gun in my hands, but I have never had a problem keeping my flints from hitting the barrel. There is plenty of clearance between the edge of the frizzen, and the side flat of the barrel.

I do want the flint to scrape metal off the full width of the frizzen face, as you otherwise form a groove or shelf, that will interfer with future strikes at some point. Keep the flint the width of the frizzen, and you wear the face down evenly.

You do have to know what you are doing when you set the flint in the cock. That is why I put the cock on the half-cock notch, so that the flint's edge is close enough to the face that I can both see, and FEEL that the inside of the flint is lined up with the inside edge of the frizzen, and not extending over where it might hit the barrel.

Well Paul, obviously everyone is not as perfect as you. :bow: :grin:

Never have had a problem with the flints making a groove & tracking.

Course now that is probably just me. Having only owned ? 40-50 flintlocks, not counting the dozens I have built, & only shooting them for more years than what I want to admit, most likely I just don't know what I am doing. :redface:

Now that you have told me how to do theis all correctly, I guess I can continue with the flintlock life & maybe get it right now. :grin:

BIrddog: I don't think those comments are called for at all. I didn't attack you personally, and I don't think you should do so to me. I am far from " perfect".

I have been shooting my own flintlock since the late 1970s, about 30 years. I learned a lot of bad lessons as a kid of 12 or so with my father's flintlock.

I had the benefit of learning how to tune a flintlock from a good friend, who had only shot and made flintlocks all his life. He gave up his secrets in exchange for my secrets about tuning percussion locks.

I don't doubt your experience. I just question your alarm about hitting the barrel with a flint, when it takes so little effort to seat it right in the jaws of the cock. As for the angle needed on a flintlock to make it work right, I owe a big debt of gratitude to Buz Fawcett, who wrote an article on "Fine Tuning The Flintlock" published in the Dixe Gun Works' Black Powder Annual magazine back in the 1970s. He in turn, got all the " secret information" from Robert Traurig, of St. Paul, Minn., a friend of Dave Ripplinger, at Track of the Wolf. I still keep the pages of that original article, and make copies for anyone interested. Dixie does not have back issues of their magazines, nor could they tell me what year that article was published. Even Buz did not know, nor have a copy of the article when I tracked him down about 10 years ago. ( I sent him a copy.)

So, do as you please, Birddog. Maybe because I am slower than you, I have spent years studying locks, sorting out the wives tales, from the science, and learning how to make them fire as fast as I can make them. You won't see me holding a gun to anyone's head to force them to do things my way.

Paul, when you respond to my post. "You do have to know what you are doing when you set the flint in the cock." I took that as to you are referring to me, since you were responding to my post. Possibly I just read it wrong.

As for the flint hitting the barrel ? Show me ONE guy that has shot a flintlocks allot that has not had this happen....... You shoot them allot for years, it will happen, sooner or later.

I have 12-14 large Siler locks here, and they all use 3/4" flints. Call Jim Chambers & ask him what flint they use..... He ownes the patent on Siler locks & has hand built them for over 40 years. If I put a 3/4" flint in Any of them None of them will fill the width of the frizzen face.....

But anyway, what I originaly said was that I disagree with ya, and proceeded to tell why & I see it a different way. That is all.......

So, let's don't make any more of it other than what it is, and that being two different points of view. :grin:

Paul, the article you are refering to by Buz Fawcett isn't in the Dixie Annual, maybe that is why they couldn't tell you about it. It is in the 1979 Guns & Ammo Complete Guide To Blackpowder page 68-73. I have the book here in front of me.

Birddog: The sentence you took offense at is at the beginning of a paragraph in which I discuss the best procedure I have found to to set my flints in the jaws of the cock. It is obviously a generic " you", and not a personal one.

Second. Jim Chambers is a nice guy, but he is not MOSES. Warren Center was a nice guy but he still put out a manual telling ML shooters to " Season " their barrels! He wasn't Moses, either.

Patents have a life of 21 years. I don't know what Jim " owns", but if its a patent, it has no value, other than to scare people away who won't bother to talk to a patent lawyer.

Rebel: Thank you for that information. Here I was crediting the article to the wrong source, because the print is so similar to my other BP ANNUALS, and the word, Blackpowder appears at the bottom margin on each page.

Well, one way or another, its one of the best articles I have ever found on tuning flintlocks, and I have been sharing copies of it with Gunmakers, and Flint shooters ever since.I can't remember the last time G&A has put out a similar magazine.
I have often wondered if Trauwig is still alive, and still building guns and tuning locks.

I was goaded into writing my article on Tuning Flintlocks by my ex-wife, who was so concerned that someone write down all the information I had gleaned from many sources about tuning locks, so others would not have to reinvent the wheel. Since writing it( 2004), I have learned even more things, including the value of something I had been doing with mainsprings that I had not given much thought about. It seems that every new lock I am presented provides new problems to solve, and in solving them, I find I can use the same solution on locks I solved other ways. That is why I stay interested in the subject, while pursuing other matters.

Thanks, again.

Birddog6 said:
As for the flint hitting the barrel ? Show me ONE guy that has shot a flintlocks allot that has not had this happen....... You shoot them allot for years, it will happen, sooner or later.

I have 12-14 large Siler locks here, and they all use 3/4" flints. Call Jim Chambers & ask him what flint they use..... He ownes the patent on Siler locks & has hand built them for over 40 years. If I put a 3/4" flint in Any of them None of them will fill the width of the frizzen face.....
Well, I know you, know your experience, and your integrity...if you say Siler Locks need 3/4" flints that's all I need to hear

Latest posts

Back