• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

flint striker

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RPalmer

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Does anyone know where I might find a Media Player,or Quicktime digital movie demonstrating use of a flint striker making a spark to start a fire?I need to show a group of 10 year olds how it was done on a computer since actual use of a striker and flint is not permitted at my school.No matches.lighters etc. Thanks for the help.

That's a tough one, but on several of the mountain man movies they have close-ups of flint and steel usage...

The Mountain men has a fire starting scene, as well Jeremiah Johnson... (I would edit out the sound in the mountain men, strong language...)

Another aproach:

Do YOU have your own camcorder?

You can tape yourself starting a fire with flint & steel and then show it in class...

As a teacher of twenty years time I must advise you that if you, as an instructor, are not allowed the use of a lighter or matches to demonstrate a needed technique, it is definately time to find a new position.
How do the Chemistry teachers in your district light their bunsen burners????

I offered to leave one post when advised that my pen knife, which I had legally carried to school as a boy, violated the no tolerance code. Now that I was a teacher I was no longer trustworthy? Firearms other than BP for demonstrations, I can understand, weapon sized knives, I can see their fear, but flint and steel in the hands of a teacher is absurd!! Perhaps it is time to give a demonstration of the 50 ways one can light a cigarette without matches during a faculty meeting. I learned most of them from my students, they seem less hampered by the rules than us teachers!

Mark Baker's series of Frontiersmens tapes have excellent material, not just on firestarting but all aspects of frontier woodcraft. I have used his tapes in my classrooms for years. He is a fellow teacher and although monotone, has no language that will need editing. John Curry has a series that is equally good. Get too me by private message for the distributers.

You could always snag a vidio camera and do what you need yourself!! Your school probably owns a camera for just these purposes. I found that when I featured myself on the vidios I used for demonstrations I got a very positive reaction. It was the only time some of the students actually paid attention to anything I said. Stuff on the TV is worth listening too!!! I had them all convinced I lived at Mansker's station and wore 18th century clothes when I was not at shcool.

Back