• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

flinter hunt

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

greenhornet

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Went for my first Flint-lock hunt a few weeks ago, with "Doc Rogers." Didn't see anything, terrible ice, frigid cold, priceless!! The "doc" had just flown in from Korea. Picked him up at the end of an ice storm and hunted for two days and 24 minutes(got in at the last minute the first night). We had so much fun and got to do a little target shooting. Had a lot of fun hunting an area that we hadn't hunted together since we were about 16 ( 20 years ago) :shocked2: All and all a good time and hope many to come.

Well, at least you got out. There's a lot more to hunting than killing animals. The opportunity to enjoy the outdoors and good friendship is a big part of it. There is also the time spent afield to sharpen your senses and learn new things about the area and the animals there.

greenhornet said:
...Didn't see anything, terrible ice, frigid cold, priceless!!

Sounds like Vermont. My hat is off to anyone who is hunter enough to tag out in the Green Mountain state every year.

greenhornet said:
Didn't see anything, terrible ice, frigid cold, priceless!! All and all a good time and hope many to come.

Some of the best hunting I've had could be described that way! :hatsoff:

Anti-hunters will never understand that killing animals is not the reason many of us go hunting.

I agree 100%. The kill is great,but hunting is about so much more. Nature, wildlife, clean air, but he best part has to be the stories and the friends you share it all with. Lost one of my best friends and greatest hunting buddies 5 years ago. His dad, uncles and cousins and I still hunt together and every other story we tell is about him. Sometimes I think the deer ruin the fun, there is just so much more to it.

Squirrel Tail said:
greenhornet said:
Didn't see anything, terrible ice, frigid cold, priceless!! All and all a good time and hope many to come.

Some of the best hunting I've had could be described that way! :hatsoff:

Anti-hunters will never understand that killing animals is not the reason many of us go hunting.

:hatsoff:

Yeah, it was an AWESOME time.

I had my TVM early VA rifle with me and it was the first time I had taken it out hunting.

I would head out of my Dad's into the woods behind the house about 45 minutes before sunrise in order to get set up by 30 minutes to sunrise.

Bitter cold (high of 11 degrees the first day) and just after the large ice storm so every blade of grass that was exposed and every tree branch was coated with 360 degrees of ice.

I found a good tree to lean against and just sat for aboout an hour each morning and night, with some treking with the "Greenhornet" in between.

Sitting there, alone in the woods, with the wind making chimes out of all the ice covered branches, the sun breaking over the white mountains in the east and then turning every bit of ice into prisms while I held my flinter and thought of the ancestors who had been doing the same thing in the same area for the last 250 years ... Priceless.

Doc

Latest posts

Back