• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Flintlock bird

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I got to do a little hunting over the weekend, this young un got a little too curious and came too close to my 66 caliber fowler loaded with 70ff and a 90 grain measure of 6 shot. It had a barely visible 3 1/2 inch beard, good enough to be legal here in TN and good enough to make smoke. I checked him in at a sporting good store. The guy who knew little about turkey hunting and way to much about modern guns, got my opinion on modern shotguns shooting $5 shells, when He said we got to measure the beard if we can find it. I let him know quick that this was a trophy bird to a flintlock hunter that no longer has any use for "modern toys".
IMG_0297.jpg

Hey, it looks like a trophy to me! Nice job. That young bird should be good eating. And most important is the hammer is on the correct side of the fowler!!!! ( I am a southpaw as well)

Good work T.O!
:thumbsup:
And another question for the idiot with the Holier-Than-Thou attitude behind that counter would have been:
"And how many turkeys have you killed with a Flintlock, real black powder, bare bore, no modern shot cups, etc, etc???"

Nice Going!

I wouldn't worry about the guys who hang around the store.

Nice job. As long as your happy with what you do, thats all that matters. I dont do what I do for another's approval. They either get it, or not, no explanation necessary.

silly goose said:
Nice job. As long as your happy with what you do, thats all that matters. I dont do what I do for another's approval. They either get it, or not, no explanation necessary.
+1

Excellent Sir! and like has already been said.........the lock is on the Correct side! :thumbsup:
Macon

I didn't really know the guy but my Dad goes in there all the time, the shop sells "a lot" of used guns and they have sold most of our modern firearms for us so we can have real black powder guns built. I am real proud of the bird and the gun.

Congratulations on a fine bird an a beautiful fowler. :hatsoff: :thumbsup: The moron at the store has probably never killed a gobbler big or small but he "KNOWS" all about it :youcrazy:

Great job!!! I hope to harvest a nice thunderchicken this season with the 16 ga. fowler I recently built.

Back