• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Flintlock Deer Down!

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jamesthomas

70 Cal.
Reaction score
Well, after 4 years of hunting with my flintlock the stars and planets alined to allow me the opertunity(sp) to harvest a spike buck around 110lbs this evening. It was a perfect quartering toward me heart shot,about 40 yards away he went about 45 yrds and piled up 5 yards short of a steep ravine. After passing up small does and yearlings it feels good to finally break my rifle in on a nice size deer. .50 cal. 65grns 3fff KIK .490 home cast round ball .24 pillow ticking with mink oil lube.

My brother took a couple of pics, he'll have to E-mail me them. I also have a pic of the heart which has a gash in it from the RB. It'll be a day or two before I'll be able to post them. probably have to get one of ya'll Mods to help out as I don't have a photobucket account.

Atta-Boy! :thumbsup:
Good shooting! .Awesome you could share the hunt with your brother!
Way to hang in there with the flinter!
Looking forward to the pic's..
There is a topic here on setting up a photobucket account.

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: Good job :applause: There's always a pot at the end of a rainbow.Griz

Here's Armakiller and his first flintlock buck!

armakillersdeer.jpg

Looks like plenty of good eatin' and maybe a coupla nice knife handles there. :thumbsup:

And a heck of a good shot too.

armakillerdeerheart.jpg

Grats again Armakiller. Now that ya broke the ice and got some blood on that rifle gun the second will come easier.

Thanks ya'll for the comments, I did take it down to the wire, next to the last day of hunting here in Alabama. My brother has been hunting with a Flintlock for over 10 years. He has made 4 flintlocks, mine .50 cal. Green Mountain barrel, curly red maple stock, Based on J.P. Beck out of Lebenon,PA. He's made a Late Virgina, Southern poor boy, .50 Cals both, and a 54. Hawken. He hunts with the Poor Boy as the other to have been given as wedding presents when his daughters got married. Swampy a name change might just be in order! Field dressed it and butchered it myself with a little help from my brother.(he held the flashlight!)

Back