• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Flintlock hunting guides in Adirondacks?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Thomas Dermako

32 Cal.
Reaction score
I'm looking for advice and recommendations here - new hunter, haven't taken a deer yet. Don't care about trophies, just the experience and want my first buck or antlerless to be w/my .50 flinter. Now I'll just sit back and learn while y'all discuss it :)

I see that you are a long way from the Adirondacks. You're near the Catskill area. There should be plenty of hunting opportunities there without traveling all the way up to the Adirondacks.
Anyway, I lived for a while up in Malone, in Franklin Co., NY. Deer are widely scattered in the Adirondacks and they go into "yards" once the snow begins to pile-up, making them even harder to find, unless you know where a yard is located.
I used to canoe across Meacham Lake and up the Osgood River a short way. I had a camp site set up there for grouse and deer hunting. There was plenty of deer sign all around there throughout the summer months, and I had high hopes for a good season.
I canoed back in there the day before opening day. No fresh deer sign anywhere! I stayed there a week, circled for miles around through the mountains, but never saw a deer.
Later, in the dead of winter, I went back in there on snowshoes. The snow was five feet deep on level ground, much deeper in the drifts. The river was frozen over and I easily crossed it. In my wandering, I came upon a frozen swamp. Here was the deer yard. Trails were packed and looked like ditches in the snow. The trails cris-crossed every which way all through that swamp.
This swamp was only a mile from my camp, but I had not entered it during the open deer season! Duh! If I had only known!
Sorry, but I don't know of any guides in that area.

Not sure if ole RC offers that service but he pitches a tent and lives out there in the Adirondacks for most of the season. I'm sure he can at least give you a lot of advise.

Verdigris, Your probably better off in the Catskills they dont have the winter kill the Aidirondaks do. Or the Southerntier area where deer densities are high and there is plenty of state land. Go to the NYS DEC website and investigate the areas. Pick one and go scout it in the spring and summer.

Swamp Rat said:
Not sure if ole RC offers that service but he pitches a tent and lives out there in the Adirondacks for most of the season. I'm sure he can at least give you a lot of advise.
ah, good ole n.y. here you have to be "licensed" to guide..now a walk thru the woods...?

Back