• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Flintlock Mulie Buck

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Herb

54 Cal.
Reaction score
Here's my friend Carl Jackson with a mule deer buck he killed. The rifle is a .50 flint Lancaster style I built for him. I think he shot 80 grains of Goex 3F and a patched round ball. This is the second mulie he killed with this rifle.
CarlSkinsDeer.jpg

Waidmanns Heil and congrats to your friend. This is a nice buck and a nice rifle. :thumbsup:

What is this for a red hand print on your friend's shirt - blood?

Regards

Kirrmeister

I asked Carl about that hand print. We have a mutual friend, Jim G., who thought that shirt needed some character. So he dipped his hand in some grease at one of our parties and applied that hand print.
Carl's wife, Carole, also killed a mulie buck with her .40 flintlock that I made for her. She had to double ball it to have legal ball weight here in Utah, and I have a photo of her with her rifle and buck, which I'll post if I can find it. Maybe I already did. Anyway, she has made a brain-tanned buckskin dress which she is decorating with elk's teeth. I gave her my last one, and she maybe has two or three dozen now, but wants a lot more. If anyone has elk teeth (the "ivories" or canines) and would like to donate them, she would really appreciate that.

On Diamond Mountain east of Vernal. I drove up there Saturday and saw 28 deer, four of them bucks, and one a pretty nice one. No season open now, so they are present!

This is Carole in her elk-tooth dress. She has more teeth on it now, but wants a lot more. It might have been in one of Mari Sandoz' books that I read about Indian women with thousand elk teeth dresses.
indian_dress_060.jpg

Here is Carole with her flintlock buck. The rifle is a .40 caliber that I built to her design. Her load was a double ball, to have legal projectile weight, and Goex 3F, 70 grains is what I tested for her, I think that is what she used.
Caroledeer.jpg

that's amazing, congrats. some states more than one projectile is a no-no but AFAIK it's legal here in N.C.

What a great looking couple and the deer are very nice also. Sorry I can't help with the choppers but elk are scarce here in Ohio and the zoo frowns on hunting.
Dusty

Ah. :thumbsup: I've only been up there once, long ago.

I wish the ML was back in November, like it used to be. :shake:

I'm assuming she hit the buck with both balls. How far apart were they when they hit? Was she able to recover them?

She had to shoot as the buck was heading into heavy brush, aiming in front of the hams. One ball stuck a hip bone as I remember, and they found that when they butchered the animal, but the other passed by an inch or so away and went into the abdominal cavity, then forward to cut some artery towards the front. The buck ran off and laid down and bled out. I don't remember if they found that ball.

The game warden recommended double balling for this .40 caliber. I tested them quite a bit before I decided they were OK to use. A double ball load (both patched, first one seated, then the other) dropped the velocity about 450 fps, as I remember. So I upped the load to 70 grains of Goex 3F and got about 1715 fps. They were very accurate, and usually struck within 3/4" apart at 50 yards. But I do not recommend their use, because both balls must be on the powder, or there is a barrel obstruction. You should have a really good reason to use them, then be very careful that the balls stay together on the powder before you shoot them.

Carole had killed many deer with centerfire rifles and a couple with a .50 TC, but the stock fit was too long and she did not have the hand strength to reload by herself. Thus my custom rifle built for her, which she shoots a lot and very well. Coned muzzle for ease of loading. She could use a different rifle, but is very confident in this one, double ball load and all.
And Carl has gotten a lot more confident in flintlocks, too!

Back