• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Flintlock pistol rested across arm safe ?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kyron4

50 Cal.
Reaction score
Is there an issues with resting a flintlock pistol across the forearm as a support when firing ? My concern would be powder burns on the hand from the pan but seems likely a non issue. I seem to remember seeing this stance used in various movies and tv shows based in the 18th century , but that's not real life either. Was this even a common practice of the day ? -Thanks

As long as the pan itself is well forward of your forearm you should be ok. In other words, rest your wrist holding the grip on your forearm, NOT the forearm of the pistol. Hope this makes sense. Keep that pan well forward of any body part.

I can't see that position as being historically accurate unless you were shooting a heavy horse pistol. Generally, the gases from a touchhole are directed out and up. I've shot offhand with my rifles with my left hand close to the underside of the pan and have never felt a hint of the escaping gasses.

I can't see that position as being historically accurate unless you were shooting a heavy horse pistol.
Ditto, that's correct, as those large wheellock pistols were shot with the upper forend supported on the middle of the foream or back of the wrist, of the off-shooting arm.

But NOTE, those wheelies were up to 2X as long as the typical flintlock pistol, so there actually is quite a bit of space between that 'square' formed between the pistol pointing forward itself, the chest to shoulder of the shooter, and then the offhand arm bent at a ~90-degree angle.

That placed the pan and wheel smack dab in the center of that open 'square' ... just wear long sleeves, LOL!

Most any odd ball thing you see in a movie most likely was never done in reality. It would put the pistol awful close to the eye, and not be as accurate as a two hand hold.
Just curious, was a two hand hold , like how we hold modern pistols, a common practice in the 18th or was the one had hold fully extended the norm ?

I am far from an expert, but I think it’s safe to say a 2-handed hold was not the norm, and indeed quite the exception. My reasoning: look at training up through the 1940’s and a bit later and one handed was still the norm for police and military.

I am far from an expert, but I think it’s safe to say a 2-handed hold was not the norm, and indeed quite the exception. My reasoning: look at training up through the 1940’s and a bit later and one handed was still the norm for police and military.
Yeah, you can see the guys in the illustrations, upright straight, stiff arm out, very rigid. I like the modern more relaxed two handed modern pistol hold when using un-mentionables. Slight crouching, etc.

Back