• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Flintlock rain protection?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Skychief

69 Cal.
Reaction score
I'm thinking that Wednesday will find me toting a flintlock fowler in search of a turkey.

Forecast: Rain (what else?) :haha:

I have a piece of pliable leather soaking in some oil to use as a makeshift cows-knee. Do you suppose it will ward off water well enough (excluding prolonged downpours)?

Who's got some helpful hints for a wet weather flintlock virgin?

Much obliged, Skychief.

It should work just fine. But beware of water running down the outside of the barrel, under the knee, and into the pan. Bonus points for also sealing around the closed pan, and especially right up against the barrel to keep water away from the touch hole area. I just use my grease lube, but there are all sorts of things that other guys use.

Frankly, easiest for me is to tie on the knee good and tight at the front, then smear the grease all around where it contacts the barrel. I keep the rear tie pretty loose so I can open it and check my prime, changing it often.

With a bead of paste lube in the groove where the barrel and stock meet for a few inches in front of the lock, a good cow's knee and keeping the muzzle down, I've never had a problem with the first shot. I load that at home.

If you need to reload in the rain, that's where the trouble really comes, for me. Don't miss. :haha:

Spence

George said:
If you need to reload in the rain, that's where the trouble really comes, for me. Don't miss. :haha:

Spence

Amen! You'll earn your flintlock stripes with reloads. I get lots of practice when small game hunting in the rain with lots of shots. Sooooo many things can go wrong!

Cows knee. I put melted wax on mine. Keep it tucked under your armpit as much as possible. You should be alright for the first shot. From then on is the pain in the butt. Good luck to ya :thumbsup:

Mink Oil on the leather. Balloon on the muzzle.

Oh, and, don't hunt in the rain...

Muzzle down and lock constantly up under your rain jacket, coat, etc.

And this won't help you with your hunt date right here on you, but for the future, if you really want to protect a good looking Flintlock, full length protection comes from a full length "rain cover"...made them for my Flintlocks and they've worked perfectly the half dozen times I've needed to use them.

Strong cotton duck outer, soft wool army blanket liner, used three aerosol cans of Kiwi Camp Dry spray silicone (tent spray), giving the outer cotton duck a soaking every few days over several weeks.

The bottom is open full length except for a few inches at the muzzle to help keep it from falling off.
When walking, my carrying hand keeps it wrapped down around the Flintlock.
When I'm sitting for deer or squirrel, it simply drapes over the top full length of the ML.

4010210VirginiaRainCoveropen.jpg

3010210VirginiaRainCoverclosed.jpg

PaulN/KS said:
That's a good looking and practical cover there Roundball. :thumbsup:
I believe it is as well...but to be clear I'm not taking credit for inventing the idea...bought one years ago that while the concept was OK, it was poor quality material, poorly constructed, poorly waterproofed, etc...set about making a better one. And Kudos to Ms Roundball for her skills with her sewing machine.

Well, then you proved the concept, then improved it with better materials and construction. That's just sound practical engineering practice to me. :hatsoff:
:wink:

I would also use 3fff as prime in the rain as it will not turn into goo as fast as 4fff. I have discovered that ignition is just as fast.

Technically speaking, it's not as fast, but whatever works for anyone is great. Myself, other then running side x side 3F vs. 4F tests at the range I've never seen a need to bother with 3F for prime. Only prime I've used for 15+ of hunting has been Goex 4F...I just refresh every now & then and have whatever benefit there is from faster 4F prime. Others mileage may vary...

Back