• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

flintlock suggestions?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

swank

36 Cal.
Reaction score
I'm new to this site, but have learned a good bit from all of you. While I do have some experience with modern t/c ML's and .577 enfield rifles from reenacting, I am totally ignorant but fascinated with flintlocks. I was looking at purchasing a Cabela's Pedersoli in .50 or .54 and have seen a few people discussing this firearm in particular on this site.
I would like to deer hunt with the rifle and was wondering if this would be a good spark flinger to start with?
Any additional information that anyone can provide about resources and information on shooting, care maintenance, etc. of flintlocks would be greatly appreciated.
thaks.

No powder-
What type of groups can one expect to accomplish with a BR and would you recommend a 50 or 54?

My Blue Ridge will shoot between 1 and 11/2 inch groups at 50 yards. This is a 50cal. using 50 gr. fffg, .490 ball, .015 patch. 5 shot groups wiping between shots, from a bench. I favor 50 cal. over 54 cal. I would suggest if you have a group of Black Powder shooters close by, talk to them and if they are like most you will probably get a chance to shoot a few guns. Hopefully of many cal. and you can see what you like best. I am sure you will get a lot of oppions even here as to the best cal.
The last few years I have been shooting a 62 cal smooth bore trade gun. It is also a flinter. I have taken deer with both guns with no sweat. I can't find it right off, but seems to me we had a discusion about this rifle on this forum not long ago. Does anyone know where that thread is?
Hope this helps some. If you were close we would go shoot mine.
No Powder

Thanks for all the info, I was leaning towards the .50 anyway. I appreciate the info and the offer.
Unfortunately, there are virtually no shooting ranges in the area I live in and all the people I know have no exposure at all to flintlocks. Even where I grew up hunting in upstate Vermont- almost everyone considers them "obsolete" due to the new in-lines.
frown.gif

Hey swank,
I have the Pedersoli Frontier in 50cal. flint and love it. Shoots great.
At this forum I got some great advice I don't think I could find anywere else on fine tuning my gun.
For shooting paper and deer, 50cal is fine. It also enables you hunt smaller game all with the same rifle.
Good luck.

Hey Swank,
Not only can you take deer with the Blue Ridge/Frontier, but I have taken several Elk as well. One at about 60 yards the other at 85 yards.The 60 yard shot was with 90gr of 2f with a 177gr RB and passed completly through. The other was with the same load and I found the shroomed out RB just under the skin on the other side. Great gun in my opinion.

Take Care

Swank
For your information The Powder Horn News list a Living History Trade Fair on the Sandusky County Fairgrounds in Fremont Ohio on Feb. 7-8. Now I don't know where you are in Ohio, so this may not be close at all. Also I'm not listing this under public events as I have no first hand knowledge of it. The paper says that there will be 2 buildings of merchants and craftsmen selling 18th and 19th century goods, historical clothing, books, patterns and black powder guns and accoutrements along with lectures. One of the contact #s is Smoke and Fire Co 1-800-766-5334. If this is close it might give you some contact with folks who have the same interest as you.
No Powder

Latest posts

Back