• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Flintlock VS. Black Bear

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Flint311

54 Cal.
Reaction score
Just got back from Ontario and hunting black bears. Had a wonderful time with my dad. The bear harvested were not big, as the sows kept the cubs at the bait sites and boars in the woods. Managed to get a 220 lb. sow (no cubs) with the .50 flintlock. 80 gr. of 3f and patched rb did the trick. Went 15 yds. and expired quickly. Did better than a .30-06 in camp. This sow looked good (especially at 8 ft. away!). Did manage to get myself stuck in the stand by a sow w/ 2 cubs. Fun to watch! Man, those little ones are playfull! Very little hunting pressure and lots of bears! Will have to see with this bear, but any under 200 lbs. and the wrist bones and femars make great knife handles. Found out they are too large at 490 lbs...... anyway, had an enjoyable hunt, great scenary, and made memories to boot!

Grats on your success Flint311! :hatsoff:
Sounds like a good hunt. Show us some pics when ya get those knives done. :thumbsup:

Sounds like a great hunt,
Always wanted to do something like that myself. I spent 10 years in North Carolina where bears used to tear down our tree stands. In all that time I only saw a couple of bears in the wild.
Now I'm back in the Ozarks of NW Arkansas and have seen three bears in the past three months. Nothing like the sizes you would see in Ontario I'm sure, but enough that I'm hopeful of seeing one this fall when I'm carrying a flintlock...
Congratulations flint311 :hatsoff:
Spot

That's the kind of performance I expect on black bear. With good clean shots, they aren't all that tough to kill. Great job, and good shooting.

I'll toss in that black bear can be terrific eating. Reminds me of very good pork. We can hunt them spring and fall here, with the animals being relatively lean but with sweet fat in the spring, but really fatty and fairly strong in the fall due to a diet of salmon. I'll take our spring bear over most other meats.

Treat it like pork, and you'll not be sorry. Roasts are great, but the ribs will break you of the beef and pork habit. Smoked hams are outstanding. Stew meat makes the best chili verde you ever ate. Keep and render that fat. I gotta say the best donuts I've ever eaten were homemade and cooked in bear fat. Just doesn't get any better.

Congradulations on the Bear! Good that you and your dad can share the experience. Speaks well.

Just wondering ...did you have to have a passport to cross into Canada? did you take your guns with you and if so were there any problems? how did you handle the bugs?

The meat is wonderful cooked on the grill but use ambient[url] heat...in[/url] other words...put charcoal on one side of the grill...meat on the other...Cover. Check often...sprinkle with water add sauce if you[url] like....plain[/url] meat is how I like it just brush on some butter and garlic salt minutes befor you remove it from the grill. Serve with warm potatoe salad, sliced tomatoes on a bed of leaf lettuce with a dollop of Dukes Mayonnaise, and lots of sour dough bread [toast the bread on the grill & brush on butter and garlic salt].

Last edited by a moderator:
Slippy,
I aint never crossed into Canada with any guns.Heck,I aint even left Canada for years but as far as I knoe there aint no restrictions on Flintlocks in Canada and the only thing I figure you'll encounter at the border is a couple of Forms to fill out.But like I said...I aint never done it.

Glad you enjoyed your self while hunting in the Canada's, What part of Ontario were you in?
I'm going to hunt moose and bear in October near North Bay .
Flint locks are a fine way to go for both,and a few grouse if it all comes together for me.
not sure about passports and you shouldn't have a problem with flintlocks but I would check into it before comin' up.

Thanks to all. It was a great time in some beautiful country! Yes, bear is great table fare, just don't get as much as you'd think, unless you process it yourself.

We did not have passports, but will need too beginning Jan. 1st., '08. There was no problems whatsoever crossing either way, even with powder. The paperwork is straight forward and easy to do. Note-it must be on you all the time, along with licenses.

The area we hunted was NW of Wawa, in Dubreaulville (sp), unless you know where Lochalsh is, population 5. :grin:

Everything considered, you couldn't ask for a better neighbor :hatsoff:
Thanks again, Flint311

Okay, so where are some PICS?!?!? :wink:

Good job on the bear. I got one a few years ago here in MD and I'm not so sure on the taste. I though it was okay (and I'm normally a very good wild game chef), some friends loved what I gave them to cook, some didn't care for it. It was different, that's for sure. Maybe my problem was just from doing the butchering, and I thought it was the greasiest thing I'd ever seen...

Would try it again though. And if I get lucky in the draw for tags this week I just might!

Let's see if I canget this to work. Here's the link and photo[url] http://i107.photobucket.com/albums/m309/plgemmen/FLINTLOCKBEAR072.jpg[/url]

And what to do with the bones.......may not show well, it was with a camera phone.[url] http://i107.photobucket.com/albums/m309/plgemmen/Bearboneknife2.jpg[/url]

Congratulations! Bear is very fine meat, indeed. I have only had roast bear, but both times I had the chance it was very good.

There are more and more bears in Ontario, what with them cancelling our spring hunt several years back. :cursing: They are being seen further and further south, as the population rises. Come back again soon and take some more! :thumbsup:

Thank you! They've been seen in my hometown many times now. I've seen them deer hunting. But, I'm hooked on Ontario with the beautiful scenery, etc. Yes, the spring season has hurt things, even with populations up. All towns are shooting many a summer and people are getting hurt and killed. The only person that's benefitting is a guy in S.S. Marie, and he's trapping them at $1,500 each. There's still resident bears in S.S. Marie..... Keep sending 'em south, I guess.

You live in a great spot on earth! :thumbsup:

Speak of the devil... I was on my way back from a gunshow today and saw a black bear running across a field, just on the north side of highway 401 east of Belleville. I've never seen one that far south before. There isn't even a season for them here... yet. :hmm:

Back