• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

flintlock wont fire. (Single set trigger)

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bigdude408

32 Cal
Reaction score
I recently bought my first flintlock. Found a used Fowler with rifle sights and a single set trigger at the log cabin shop in lodi Ohio. (about a 3 hour drive) Knowing nothing about setting triggers i had them set and dry fire the gun up there. he did it twice and it looked like good spark so i took it home.
The next day i was getting ready to try it out, some shot, some balls, and some FFF was ready. luckily before i loaded it i decided to see how that set trigger felt. after i half cocked it i could not get the trigger to set. so i went ahead and fully cocked it and come to find out the trigger wouldn't fire without setting it either.
So this is when i started to take it apart. it has a L&R trigger and lock installed. included is the picture of the trigger from the gun and the manufacture picture.
I've found that the lock will work in the stock or out of the stock, its just like the trigger wont come in contact with the sear. Ive tried using the set screw on the trigger, backing it off all the way and trying it often in different positions of the screw. ive tried setting it before i cocked the lock back. Checked the lock and trigger screw to make sure they were not to tight or loose. I purchased the exact trigger, thinking this one must not be working right, but they function identically out of the stock.

I am at a total loss on what to do next. i wouldnt be against fitting a standard trigger in its place, but i wouldnt know where to start to find one that is close to the same size and part location. Any help with this would be greatly appreciated!!!
lrtrig.png
lrtrig1.jpg

I have the same trigger as you do. I have to set it to fire and if at half cock it will not release unless I pull the hammer back just a little and pull the trigger at same time to drop hammer. When you first set the trigger will it fire? You have to move the trigger forward pretty hard to get an actual set. You can not set the trigger when in half cock.

I had one of those and ended up removing the springs and just using the plate with a single trigger. It takes a pretty good push to set it, and then the pull was too light. I couldn't get the pull to be hard enough to be safe. You can order a trigger or try to use the that one. Just re-use the plate and, if needed, drill through it. I think I left a piece in for a spacer to prevent side to side trigger slop.

Last edited:
Not uncommon for a set trigger to only work when cocked full. They should work at half cock but there is often an issue with how the trigger bar contacts the sear in the half cock and full cock positions. If the lock functions correctly with the trigger out and the trigger works correctly out side of the stock, then this is most likely the issue. You can confirm this by careful measurement with the triggers out. Measure from the outside surface of the trigger inlet to the sear bar in all 3 positions (fired, 1/2 and full cock). Now measure the height of the trigger bar in the resting, set and fired positions from the bottom of the trigger plate (assuming the trigger plate fits flush to the stock). Compare those measurements to see if there are stations where those components would overlap and not meet without resistance. Hope that makes sense? Solutions can be filing the trigger bar where it meets the sear or shimming the trigger bar. Being able to set the trigger only at full cock is not ideal but you can learn to live with it.

I have the same trigger as you do. I have to set it to fire and if at half cock it will not release unless I pull the hammer back just a little and pull the trigger at same time to drop hammer. When you first set the trigger will it fire? You have to move the trigger forward pretty hard to get an actual set. You can not set the trigger when in half cock.

That was my entire problem, i was not moving the trigger forward enough to set. I was completely expecting it just to click in. glad i asked, i started to think it was just user error! Now i know. Thanks so much to every one who replied!!!!

I think that is a Davis DASST trigger. I have it too. Is the trigger itself rather rattly on the hinge pin? I solved for that by drilling out the holes slightly with a wire bit, and breaking off the shank of the bit to be my new hinge pin. I wouldn't use that trigger again for any subsequent builds. The return coil spring on the set trigger hook also has a tendency to hang up with a couple of the coils too, making it a non-return spring. At $70 or so, it's WAY overpriced, unless you place the value in it in the education you're going to get in making it work right.

Last edited:
Back