• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Flintlocking deer

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jeremytl

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Its been a few years (almost 4 to be exact) since I have used this forum. I am taking out my old TC .50 flintlock Saturday to deer hunt. Bucks are on the prowl, I have practiced a lot with this rifle and I am stoked to say the least. Back in 2005, a few of you gave me some real helpful advice. It was right after I acquired this beautiful rifle from my Grandfather's collection. He is gone now and I aim to make him proud by taking my first flintered deer. I had to dig up some of the old threads and re-read your advice. I put a new, sharp flint in. What I settled on and have been practicing with is the roundballs using 76 grains of powder (76 for the year I was born, I'm superstitious like that!). Are there any of you out there that use a similar load for whitetails? I am in NC and they don't get as big as the northern deer, I will be lucky to see anything over 120 pounds but they are aplenty and the bucks I have captured on the trail camera are impressive by anyone's standards. Saturday is opening day! Good luck to you all!

Jeremy

Jeremy...I spent a couple of quality hours yesterday with a .50 caliber Tennessee-style flintlock and settled on 65 grains of Goex 2F. Most of my shots will be under 50 yards and 75 at the maximum. Other .50 calibers I've used in the past have been very successful with 60 - 80 grains of powder within these ranges. Just have faith in your shot. Give the deer 15-20 minutes after the shot, then follow in the direction the deer went. Several that I've taken did not leave a blood trail(especially with a high lung shot) but dropped out of sight within 100 yards of so after being hit. Good luck! Tom

Back