• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

flints-cut agate

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

never used other then flint can anyone tell me if the cut agate will affect the frizzen ? does it have to be hardened different?
tks

Agate has the same Mohs scale of hardness as Flint (black quartz), both have a hardness of #7.

Pirite (fools gold) will also work, it sparks well... It has a hardness of #6 on the Mohs scale.

I have also used a broken sharpening stone chip in my flintlocks, the hard stone is Agate or Chert, both will spark fine and does a good job, don't use any diamond stones though...

Anyway, Agate will ware the frizzen the same as Flint, so just treat it like flint and keep shooting.

I always got my flints from the same place. (If it works don't fix it.) Anyhow what's the difference between English flints and French flints? I've heard French flints wear on the frizzen more. And how about those machine cut flints you see in little packages at the store. Isn't that some kind of oxymoron? There must be lots of flint scattered about the US, how does that compare with the imported flint? I expect in the early days on this continent all was imported until folks started finding their own.

The major advantage of the flint lock was, (and still is) you can always find a sparking stone somewhere on the ground, the odds of finding good percussion caps in nature was against you.

This is why most hardcore mountain men stayed with their flinters after the cap lock was brought to the mountains.

Flint arrow-heads could be broken and used for gun flints also, they were already knapped.

According to Black Powder Shooters: [The French flints will last longer and have a finer grain to them which will make it easier to renapp a edge.]

I can tell you that English flints (Black Quartz) came from the Dover area.

French flints are a little harder to find than the English flints and cost a few pennys more.

Stews,
As previously mentioned, frizzen wear is the same. However, I used knapped English flint for years but 2-3 years ago, I switched to cut agates. The reason I was reluctent to change is I like the looks of knapped flints. They just look right. The reason I did finally change, consistency. Once you get grip pad thickness right, you can change out a flint in seconds. No adjustments needed. It's been my experience that they work best with very thin lead rather that leather and install them bevel down.

Cody

I tried a couple but they just didn't seem right, I prefer the type more in tune with history, I make my own spauls when I have the material to use.
In the 18th century France was the chief supplier of flints to the colonies untill the end of the century when the English caught on to the manufacturing method the French used and became more efficient at it and took over the market.The nice English type we now use are made by making a long flake the breaking individual flints off of the flake, before this method was developed by the French (1730?) spauls were used which are just single flakes knocked off of a larger piece and are shaped different that the "Fuller" type English flints, the French started this type and kept a lid on it untill around 1780 or so then the English started making this type.( all the dates are ball park as my source books are not with me now)

tg,
I agree that cut agates "don't seem right" but when I was useing knapped flints I would buy a dozen and at least 3-4 would be totally useless. I don't remember where I was getting them. Last year I was shooting silhouettes in a timed event. I think it was 5 shots in 5 min. Lots of time but my third shot on the pigs my flint disintegrated. I put in a new flint and finished in time. Hit all the pigs too. We won't talk about the rams & turkeys. I had to dig my flint wallet out of my shooting bag, untie it get out a flint install it and go. Because all the flints are cookie cutter duplicates, I didn't have to consern myself with making adjustments. If I were useing knapped flints I may not have been able to get it sparking as quickly. Of course if I wasn't so cheap and started with a new flint, I wouldn't have had to replace it half way through. :<)

Cody

I have heard some use the "Dura flints" for the same reason, maybe 150 shots with out touchimg the flint, definitely an advantage over the others, and that raises another question that I won't go into for fear of starting a trad/non-trad war, I guess it is a matter of perspective and what type of shooting and how close to the path of history one chooses to travel, I have had very good results with the "Fuller" flints and the spauls I make myself, I believe that the biggest factor in flint wear,performance and life is the quality of the lock. btw I believe that the cut agate type were available to some degree in the past but do not know where or how far back.

When it comes right down to it, its just a matter of choise...

I know someone that use dura flints for hunting and real knapped flints for events.

He says... "As long as it fires my gun, I don't care."

I myself, use 1-inch wide English flints.
grin.gif

I have very few miss-fires with my Brown Bess using these flints...
rolleyes.gif

Thanks for the replies . I know the situation with the Fuller flints . Have used them for over 10 years . Just looking to try something different.
Any info on where to order the Dura Flints or the cut agate?

Dixie Gun Works has the German Agate flints.

FA0600 3/8" German Agate Flints $2.75
FA0601 1/2" German Agate Flints $3.35
FA0602 5/8" German Agate Flints $3.75
FA0603 3/4" German Agate Flints $4.95

http://www.dixiegunworks.com/

To contact duraflints here is the contact information I currently have.

Elkk Enterprises
PO BOX 871
Port Hueneme, CA 93044

Phone: 1-800-796-2762 or
Phone: 1-805-382-1817

Back