• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Flints

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gunner2292

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Well everybody. I own a pedersoli pennsylvania rifle and I noticed that I could only get 10 shots off each side of the flint before it dull or started to chip. Is this normal or should I use a different flint? I am using english flints and are 3/4". Thanks, Gunner

there's a plethora of info on this subject through out the forum.

some items to be concerned with are: the strength of the main spring,could be too strong. temper of the frizzen, too soft and possibly the angle of attack of the cock/hammer to the face of the frizzen, 60' seems to be the standard. also a frizzen spring that is too strong will also cause premature flint wear/failure. the frizzen is spring providing too much resistance upon opening allowing the flint to wack instead of scrap the face of the frizzen.

hope this helps that's about the best i can do. :wink:

i'm sure some of the more experienced members will guide you & give you more info.

sewerman

My main spring is about 10 lbs i think. The frizzen I am not sure. Ill have to check the direction the hammer strikes though. Is it possible to buy lighter frizzen springs? Im not sure where to find some that fit my rifle.

have to agree If you are new to this site there is a Search function on it which you can use to look up discussions on the topic.

I use 5/8 in square flints in my pedersoli alamo. The size flints you are using my be hitting too high thus causing premature wear.

I do understand there is a search function which i put to use but i didnt find the info i needed. Maybe it was my search wording. Anyways I thought i used 3/4 but maybe i do use 5/8

gunner2292 said:
My main spring is about 10 lbs i think. The frizzen I am not sure. Ill have to check the direction the hammer strikes though. Is it possible to buy lighter frizzen springs? Im not sure where to find some that fit my rifle.

If this is a new muzzleloader, I wouldn't think a strategy of starting to replace parts would be the best place to start.

First of all, flints do wear down and do require occasional knapping...part of the charm of learning how to shoot Flintlocks...so the fact that you may have to do this is not unexpected at all...the primary variable is how often.

Only getting 10 shots before having to knapp the edge does sound a little premature...by contrast using 3/4" black English flints in TCs redesigned locks, it is not uncommon for me to go through a complete 50 shot range session without having to touch the flint, or possibly knapp it once lightly.

For me, the primary cause of short flint life has been caused by the angle that the flint hits the face of the frizzen...if it hits to straight on, too square into the face of the frizzen it will be smashing into it.

Ideally, at the moment the falling flint strikes the frizzen, it should be contacting it at a slightly downward shaving angle, to "slice" bits of steel off the face of the frizzen.

Impacting this way, at a downward slicing angle, there is not the head-on smashing into the frizzen which dulls the edge after only a few shots.

The angle of the flint hitting the frizzen is usually controlled by two things:
1) Orientation of the flint in the jaws... "bevel up" or "bevel down"...if the bevel is up it will usually result in the sharp edge of the flint hitting at more of a downward angle than if the bevel is down, because with the bevel down the edge of the flint sits up higher and will hit the frizzen higher, and usually more head-on square.

2) Positioning of the flint in the jaws (forward or backwards) to affect the angle of impact to the frizzen...on some locks if the flint is sitting too close to the frizzen it will hit it too head on...and if it's slid back away from the frizzen a little, by the time it travels further through it's arc to hit the frizzen, it will do so with more of a downward slice as it's further down in it's arc at impact;

On the medium size locks that TC uses, I use 3/4" black English flints, bevel up, and adjusted at half c o c k so the leading edge of the flint is all but touching the frizzen...can barely slide a sheet of notebook paper between them...results in a very long flint life, very seldom requires knapping, provides excellent sparks and fast ignition.

Just look at yours and experiment with bevel up and down, plus how close to the frizzen...the goal is to get the flint to hit the frizzen at a slightly downward slicing / shaving angle...same principle as using an axe to cut down a tree...if the axe hits straight into the tree, it will make very little headway...bit when it struck into the tree with a downward slicing angle, it makes a good cut...and that's literally what you're doing...cutting/shaving off tiny slivers of steel from the frizzen which turn red hot from friction, and ignite the prime.

Well I guess that is probably the problem. I will work with the frizzen strength. It seems that is is hitting at the right angle. I have tried it both ways and still the same affect. I am getting that washboard affect but not too bad. Maybe its my flints so im gonna get new ones. My rifle is the pedersoli pennsylvania rifle 50 cal. And im not sure the lock size. Just in case anyone was wondering.

I have worked on the mainspring and frizzen on my CVA Mt rifle. If you file it to make it softer, you must file long ways on the spring. If you file across the spring it could get checks or cracks and break. Paul says about 15lb on main and 3lbs on frizzen. I have one L&R lock that starts at almost the top and it has a smooth path down the frizzen. I have some that start at middle and washboard down. Bad angle, not good. My best two are L&R. Dilly

Ya i just messed around with my flint and i cant get more than 6 shots off and it doesnt spark anymore. So.... I prolly should use a trigger pull and check.

gunner2292 said:
The rifle is about a year old and only has about 50-60 shots on it.
"Daniel didn't have no stinking protractor" :grin:

When you say the frizzen has a washboard effect, do you literally mean there is a gouge line or crease line forming across the face of the frizzen from repeated impacts of the flint?

And this distinction is important...is it literally a line being "cut into" the face of the frizzen or is it really just a shiney line where the flints have been hitting the most?

The reason is that a mere 50-60 shots should not have cut into the face of a steel frizzen at all unless the steel is too soft...by contrast I have 3 rifles with 2000-3000 shots each and the frizzens don't have washboard cuts in them

Take a ball and hammer it out flat and thin. Wrap your flint with it instead of the leather. That will pretty much stop the wash boarding. Completely eliminated it on my gun.

HAHA i edited my thread because i did the degree measurement completely wrong. Im just thinking my flints are manure. They are american saw cut double edged flints off of track of the wolf. Im gonna try some Tom Fuller flints and see if my problem is solved.

Back