• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Fodder for Thought

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

crs1945

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Here's something I thought about today ( too much time on my hands ).In the pre-20th cent., if you lived in the southwest desert region and carried a BP pistol, How would you keep the lube in the cylinder ( bear grease or whatever ) from melting and sliding out of the charged cylinder along with the powder charge?? After all it hits 110 to 120 degrees and the gun is pointed downward in the holster. Gravity is working against you! Any thoughts??

P.S.-
I'm still waiting for items via the snail mail system in order to work on my firing problem.

Muzzie :haha:

I think in those days they were more concerned with the lube on their cylider pin to keep the works from jamming up? I would think they relied more on the over sized ball in the cyliders to prevent "chain fires"... I don't believe those folks then were quite as selfconscious about safety as we are today...

I agree that they probably left the ball or bullet dry. Not only would any grease run out -- exposed grease left on a holstered revolver for days on end, even if the gun was holstered, would collect dust, dirt and grit under trail conditions. And who would want to shoot an abrasive mess like that through the forcing cone and down the barrel ahead of the ball?

Tom

Back