• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Fooey on the deer...Rabbits instead!

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Skychief

69 Cal.
Reaction score
Two buddies and myself decided to say "Uncle" as far as deer hunting this afternoon. Instead we followed the beagles around a brushy farm. What a welcomed relief to walk, talk, joke and so on compared to the deer hunting we have been doing since October 1. We ran 4 rabbits and collected 2 for the pot with 2 shots taken. The guns included my New Englander, a flint Renegade with with drop-in Green Mountain 20 gauge and a semi-custom English style flint fowler.

Did I mention that we had a ball? :wink:

Sounds like fun...haven't rabbit hunted since I was a kid...but for all the walking in and out of woods that I do for deer hunting activities, I've only kicked up one rabbit, 3-4 years ago...see squirrels pretty often, but rabbits seem pretty scarce around where I hunt

Sounds like a blast! I used to hunt with beagles with my father, uncle, and grandfather. With muzzleloaders it might be even more fun. We used 6 shot for open shots and 5 shot for heavy brush. I would carry a few 7-1/2 loads in case there were quail around at the same time in the open. I'd love to own a SxS muzzleloading shotgun.

As a kid I used to hunt rabbits with a .22, and shoot them in the head. This year Deer hunting I didn't even see one rabbit. The coyote population is very high and we have lots of Hawks and Eagles in the summer. I miss hunting the little fellows.

I'll be headed out shortly to go after them with my TC Big Boar .58 caliber. My hunting pard and I usually go after them with everything from .32 and now .58 caliber..................I've got to perfect those head shots!

Your hunting Rabbits with beagles, brings back fond memories. "I Miss my Beagles" I look forward to the traditional deer hunt every fall, but watching & hearing those little vacuum cleaners on legs chase rabbits, is hard to beat!Rabbit is also right up there at the top for wild game meat."YUM"

I left brush piles on some of my cleared land specifically to help attract rabbits. (Blamed things seem to attract snakes too, though!)

Bunnies and tree rats may well be my favorite to hunt. Good days!
:thumbsup:

Back