• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

For those interested in FIW Powder Horn construction

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Folks,

Ever wished you had X ray vision to see inside an original FIW American Powder Horn to see the end plug? As I was looking for something else, I came across the following link that shows part of the horn broken away and you can see the front part of the end plug in the horn. Thought some others might enjoy seeing it as well.
http://www.fortticonderoga.org/blog/wp-content/uploads/2013/06/IMGP2964.jpg

Scroll down to "Robert Fairchild and His Powder Horn" for the whole article here: http://www.fortticonderoga.org/blog/page/7/

Gus

Last edited by a moderator:
My only question is if the back of the base plug had a concave end to reduce the plug's weight and increase powder capacity. I think some may have.

From the article: Curiously, the powder horn’s spout has been cut off and there appears to be evidence that at one time a replacement (now missing) may have been attached. The back of the horn has also been trimmed, probably removing about an inch of its base. Exactly when or why this was done is not known.

I have no idea how they figured that "about and inch" was trimmed off the base? If the base plug had been trimmed that much, then it could have a concave section in the end to increase powder capacity. The base plug in there now does not look thick enough to have much concave (or any concave) in it? Are they trying to say the base plug in the horn now is a replacement?

Is that a half round iron staple in the base plug to hold a carry strap? If the current base plug was concave inside; would the thickness of the plug as it is now, crack when one went to pound the staple in - even if two small holes were drilled in the base plug for the iron staple ends? Or is that a more modern iron "Eye Screw" someone added to the base plug?

Are there remains of some kind of sealant on the part of the base plug that goes inside the horn? I have enlarged the picture and I can not tell.

I am afraid I have more questions than answers on this horn.

Gus

Many times there is a lot of guessing about these old artifacts, an usually just that. I think that this horn has it's original low dome base plug and these wouldn't of been hollowed out for weight or additional powder. Something of interest about many of the staple attachment on old horns, is that they liked to make long staples and run the staple wire completely thru the wood plug and bend the ends over. Same on a front throat staple. I wish we could see that in the photo.

Rick

Thanks for responding, Rick.

So they "clinched" the wire when they formed the loops like they clinched nails in some box and less expensive furniture construction. That is interesting. Thank you.

Do you know if they drilled slightly undersize holes for the wire diameter to keep it as waterproof as possible?

Gus

If I recall the name I think Ron Cadle? He had an article in Muzzle Blasts or Muzzle Loader (I forget) Maybe 5 years ago. It had a lot of really good information. One dealt with the staples. He claimed most of us today use too large a diameter wire and that the originals penetrated the horn and were twisted (as posted by Horner). Two stapes were common, the base plug staple held one end of the strap, the other end of the strap went around the spout area and the staple in that area was positioned- not to hold the strap, but to make the horn hang correctly. The article also said that glass scrapers were used to give a final finish to the surface of the horn. This left very fine lines. When I first started making horns I put on a mirror polish using 1000 grit auto body sand paper. What happened is the mirror polish made the horn look like cheap plastic- it really looked better with the fine lines. I looked up Ron, he was in Western PA at the time and spoke to him a while and he claimed most horns were purchased, not home made and that the horners of the day had shops that could turn out good horns pretty quickly. If I recall, the PA screw tips were spoken of and the tips were turned on a lathe. These screw tip horns usually had turned base plugs that were elaborate with rope carved rings, etc. and IMHO represent the highest level of artistic beauty ever seen in powder horns.

Artificer said:

So they "clinched" the wire when they formed the loops like they clinched nails in some box and less expensive furniture construction. That is interesting. Thank you.

Do you know if they drilled slightly undersize holes for the wire diameter to keep it as waterproof as possible?

Gus

I would imagine that they pre-drilled the staple holes for the base plugs or burnt "starter" holes with a hot wire. In the last few years, new never ending research is suggesting that the throat staple was also used as a hanger for the strap, as well as some using the staple for a strap keeper, so the strap does not slide on the powder horn throat or neck area. I like the latter for a more secure strap anchoring point.

Rick

horner75 said:
Artificer said:

Gus

I would imagine that they pre-drilled the staple holes for the base plugs or burnt "starter" holes with a hot wire. In the last few years, new never ending research is suggesting that the throat staple was also used as a hanger for the strap, as well as some using the staple for a strap keeper, so the strap does not slide on the powder horn throat or neck area. I like the latter for a more secure strap anchoring point.

Rick

Thank you. I should have thought about burning the holes through.

Gus

Latest posts

Back