• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Fouling Scraper with a Rounded Bottom

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joliver

36 Cal.
Reaction score
Anybody know where I can get a fouling scraper with a rounded bottom for my .54 cal Lyman GPR? All the ones I've seen advertised have straight bottoms.

joliver

Your GPR has a flat bottom or straight bottom breech. You need a .54 flat scraper for the breech & a .36 cal rounded bottom one for the patent breech. You can easily make one with a belt sander and a jag & sand the end of it down flat to fit, or buy a scraper with a rounded end from T/C that is made for scraping the patent breech.

Scrape & turn it easily in the patent breech as if you hang it up there that could be a real problem & one you don't want to deal with.

This is what a GPR flintlock breech looks like inside on a ? 45 or 50 cal barrel, I think they said it was. Your .54 cal just has a larger barrel so just a tad more flat breechface area where the barrel is up against the patent breech.

LymanBreech1.jpg

On my .40, I use the bronze bore brush. If I twist it in, the wires will fold and into the "patent breech area" it goes! its to the point now that I wrap a patch around the well used bore brush and srcub away!
works for me,and works in my .50's also!

That is what I always used also. The bristles clean thuroughly & less chance of hanging it up, etc. The brushes don't seem to hold up real well doing this, but I watch for them on sale at places & try to get several of them & keep them aside for just this purpose.

The scraper actually does real good if you are shooting matches & allot of shooting in a day & want to get the fouling out of the patent breech & edge of the breech face. :thumbsup:

I sent the following e-mail to Lyman yesterday.

I'm the proud owner of a new Lyman GP .54 flintlock. Shot it for the first time last week-end. Love it!

Do you have a schematic avaliable that will help me understand the breech? I can tell there is a chamber that is less than barrel diameter. I'd like to know the diameter and depth of this chamber, and whether it is round or flat bottomed.

Got this response this morning (mighty quick service ).

Hello,

Thank you for buying a Lyman Rifle. We hope you have lots of time to enjoy it. As you know the breechplugs are not removable from our rifles. They are made together with the barrel.. The specs of them are.

1" deep
35 caliber width
round bottom.

Lyman customer service

I asked them (Lyman) the same question about a year ago, and I recall them telling me that the bottom of the breech cavity was shaped to a drill point.

Don

Yes, the end of the patent breech will be rounded or a drill point. But where the patent breech fits against the barrel, there is a step as the bore of the barrel is generally larger than the hole in the patent breech, thus why you would use a flat breechface scraper here.

PatentBreech.jpg

:wink:

Birddog6 said:
Your GPR has a flat bottom or straight bottom breech. You need a .54 flat scraper for the breech & a .36 cal rounded bottom one for the patent breech. You can easily make one with a belt sander and a jag & sand the end of it down flat to fit, or buy a scraper with a rounded end from T/C that is made for scraping the patent breech.

This is what a GPR flintlock breech looks like inside on a ? 45 or 50 cal barrel, I think they said it was. Your .54 cal just has a larger barrel so just a tad more flat breechface area where the barrel is up against the patent breech.

quote]

Birddog 6,

Thanks for the info and the picture. I have been using a .357 bronze brush to clean out the patent breech area. But I'm going to take your advice and get a .54 cal straight scraper and buy or make a round-bottom .36 scraper.

joliver

Birddog6 said:
Your GPR has a flat bottom or straight bottom breech. You need a .54 flat scraper for the breech & a .36 cal rounded bottom one for the patent breech.

Birddog6,

The answer Semisane got from Lyman about the patent breech in his rifle said the patent breech is .35 cal. Is this the modern .357 cal? In your reply you said I need a .36 cal scraper for the patent breech. Is this the same .36 cal as the old .36 caliber revolvers, e.g., Colt 1851 Navy, which, I believe were actually .38 cal? Or is the .36 cal you recommend the same as the .35 cal that Lyman states?

joliver

Back