• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Fouling shot

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vacca rabite

36 Cal.
Reaction score
My first shot always sucks. :cursing:
What can I do to fix this?

After that first shot and a little fouling gets in the barrel (I do wipe between shots) the rifle turns into a tack driver. But when the barrel is fresh and clean, my shot will go several inches away from my POA.

When hunting next month, the one shot I take will be from a clean barrel, and this has me concerned. What do I need to do to fix the "fouling shot" issue.

Zach

Zach,

Why not take a fouling shot before hunting? Maybe the evening before the hunt? I don't believe it is an uncommon thing!

I have a couple of Friends who specifically do that before dusk Christmas night, and basically aim towards the trees and let 'er rip.

That way, they are ready for the first morning of Flint hunting on the 26th here in Pa.

Play with your patch/ball/lube/powder load until you don't need to take a fouling shot. There is no reason why your first shot shouldn't go where you point it...

Black Hand said:
Play with your patch/ball/lube/powder load until you don't need to take a fouling shot. There is no reason why your first shot shouldn't go where you point it...

Agree completely. Too much oil can affect accuracy. I swab my barrels before the first shot on the range to get rid of any excess oil but that is it.
I would never take a fouling shot before going hunting. The crud in the barrel will attract moisture (in my humid climate) and will require complete cleaning at the end of the day.
As others have suggested, a tighter ball/patch combo and maybe new lube should eliminate that first shot woes for you.

I believe this is the concensus these days. The scientific method. Consistancy for consistant results. It requires that you have done some trial and error testing with your gun resulting in a tight set up.

When I first started hunting deer with a muzzleloader I took a fouling shot and then one cleaning patch to try and match exactly the conditions on the range.

It didn't take long to figure out that deer can smell a recently shot muzzleloader from half a mile away. :doh:

I clean the barrel with de-natured alcohol and load on a clean barrel for hunting. My rifle is never really ready to hunt until the load is worked up that shoots the first shot in the bull and the second alcohol swabbed bore does the same.

Once I have it worked up I test with that load several times over the fall before season starts. Two shot checks. I keep a card and computer file about load data for each rifle.

I use a pie plate for a target and write the date and load data on the plate and stack them in my gun cabinet. I never wonder about a load and the stack of plates shows me how consistant that first and second shot is. Once the load is set for the two shot test it never changes.

My flinters never have even a trace of fouling ever when hunting. For offhand practice and plinking I don't get near as fussy and clean as needed with a spit patch.

I had the same problem. First shot would be wild, but the following shots were great. I tried a thicker patch and the problem went away.

I also tried putting a cigarette paper between the ball and the patch and that also worked like a charm. The cigarette paper effectively increased the thickness of the patching. Try this before buying more patching. You may need more than one paper.

Steve

Hrm. I don't have ciggy paper but I do have phone book paper. I'll try a ply of that between the patch and the ball and see what happens.
Zach

It takes a while because you need to swap and dry until you get the patch , ball and powder formula figured out. Once you do you will be able to count on your first shot!

Geo. T.

For me, once I load my gun, I typically don't unload until such time that I fire at a deer. This may be days or even weeks. As a result, I do not want any blackpowder fouling in my barrel. By fouling the barrel prior to the hunt, you have ensured the need for a complete cleaning at the end of the day. I require all my weapons to fire well with the first shot out of a clean barrel, and also with the next two or three shots. It would be frustrating for me to have to foul my barrel prior to loading for a hunt.

Jeff

Vacca Rabite,

Telephone book paper may be too thick,but try it. You would only need it for the first shot out of a clean barrel. After that just a straight patch. Ciggy paper can be bought most anywhere.

Steve

Roguedog said:
For me, once I load my gun, I typically don't unload until such time that I fire at a deer. This may be days or even weeks.

If I feel the need to put in a new charge (If I've been in the rain), I will pull the old charge rather than shoot it.

I would suggest trying a thicker patch and maybe a lube change.

I do the same as Walks with fire, wipe out the bore with alcohol before loading when hunting this always puts the first shot ware it should be, this is what works for me give it a try.

Black Hand said:

Ditto...
AND it IS that 1st one that's most important! :wink:

I do use a bit of wasp's nest over the powder in my hunting load just to keep the patch protected. I have never been able to tell if it really helps or not but it hasn't shown any harm. My 2 shot tests don't vary with or without the wasps nest.

Latest posts

Back