• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Found a new Turkey load !

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Skychief

69 Cal.
Reaction score
I shot some patterns today with Ole Betsy, my TC New Englander.

I was shooting some of those fancy-schmancey "shoot-n-see" turkey targets that were gifted to me.

I tried a variety of loads, including my usual load of 80 grains 2f, hard card, 1 5/8 ounces of #6 shot.

At one point, I tried the above load with a hard card on top of the shot in place of a thin "overshot" card.

The target showed real promise with several more pellets in the head/neck area than my usual turkey load.

I swabbed the barrel for more shots, using the 80 grain, 1 5/8 ounce load, topped with a hard card.

The first shot's result was repeated, time and again!

Each target shows an average of 30 strikes upon the head and neck of the turkey outline! :shocked2:

The load seems to defy logic where we think a lightweight overshot card should produce denser patterns than a nitro card sitting atop the shot charge. :hmm:

I won't be one to second guess what she wants. Ole Betsy really liked being fed that load!

She's cleaned and lubed awaiting the latter part of April, and of course, I can't wait. :thumbsup:

Best regards, Skychief.

Im a firm believer in letting your gun tell you what it wants to digest. If you will fiddle around with it enough IT WILL TELL YOU. Looks like you did just that :thumbsup: It will soon be time to get er done SKY :hatsoff:

Back