• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Found a pair of antler point powder measures

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tg

Cannon
Reaction score
on top of this Blacktail spikes' head this morning, been pushing some big bucks around but settled for this one on the last day I can hunt this season.

spike1.jpg

hit him in the side of the chest as he trotted by abot 15yds out then followed the blood and tracks thru the thick stuff(50yds) till I found him laying up against a poplar tree and finished the job, it's been real hard to get close to them with the cold dry weather and the woods a carpet of dry crunchy leaves, out of 11 deer seen since Thurs only this one and a small fawn offered a shot, two nice 4 ptrs. played hide&seek yesterday till they grew weary of us and circled around and bailed out, only two of us so had no one to watch the back door. French fusil 44" barrel .58 with .562 ball .012 patch 85 gr 3f, second shot .550 ball with the same patch and powder.

Halftail said:
Good going TG,
What would that Deer weigh?

(Pssssstt: TG would have us believe that muzzleloader is 'in the white' but I think he's using one of those new fangled stainless barrels !)

When you said you"finished the job". did you mean you twisted his neck?Or does that particular breed have their heads screwed on bakards? :wink:

I would guess it weighs around 70- 80 lbs hanging after been skined and dressed, a nice big Blacktail buck might weigh 120 or more but the average doe or spike probably in the 80-100 range, these are one of the smaller species of deer in America but can be hard to hunt due to habitat, it is not as much beating the animal as beating the environment they live in, I saw one big old boy yesterday but did not get a shot, I chose to work my way around the left side of a patch of wild rose and blackberries and he broke out on the other side, had I made a different choice he likely would have ran right across the trail dad was watching, but he had a wide enough lane to quarter past me keeping the cover between us and ran down the same trail I had been walking.I did not hunt the last two years and it felt good to get back out and bloody up the Fusil.I had Dad wait untill I took off the detachable scope mounts and scope before he took the pic.

"When you said you"finished the job". did you mean you twisted his neck?Or does that particular breed have their heads screwed on bakards?"

I just twisted his neck to take the pic, I finished him with a .550 ball thru the back of the head at the range of about 12". Reminds me of a spike I got several years ago while I was helping a friend track a deer he had hit, I saw a spike laying in the ferns and yelled to my partner that I found his deer and it was still alive, he said finish him so I walked up and from about two ft. from the muzzle to the deers head popped him between the eyes.... that was the only hole in that deer, it was not wounded from a previous shot, when we found this out I turned to my partner and said "try and beat that for stalking a deer" never could figure why he let me walk up on him like that.

Back