• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Found new area.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VEARL

45 Cal.
Reaction score
Was on the road the last few days. Scouted out an area for deer here in Oklahoma.
Spent about 6 hrs on the ground looking for signs.
Saw plenty of tracks and travelways.
Met a gentleman ( approx. 65 yrs old ) also scouting. He has hunted this area for approx. 30 yrs. Said he never failed to get either a doe or buck every year.
He invited me to his camper for some coffee. Visited for about 2 hrs and had to go. He showed me where he will be camping for the archery and muzzleloading seasons. Showed me some pictures of some deer that he had taken there. Invited me to camp next to him in the same area. Took his phone number and gave him mine.
Know where I will be this season.
Have anyone else been scouting around and getting ready ?

no.
But Bambi has been bringing his little brother around every evening. Neighbor put out some game cameras and says the back property is crawling with deer as usual. The 4 point (that is an 8 for you who like to count both sides) or better requirement does not seem like it will be an issue for most hunters in Stevens county this year.

Vearl said:
Same couple of small properties but scouted around and have been working at setting up 2 new stand locations at each of them

Been wanting to get out and get the stands and blinds ready. There is time though. The mosquitoes are hungrier than I am so far.

Yes I'm lucky enough to live on the property I hunt. I put the cameras back out around a month ago and haven't checked them yet. My wife's being seeing a lot of deer on the salt block out in the field by the house I've seen at least three bucks on the property myself. Planning on planting some clover on top of the hill and beside the house in the field again in about two weeks or so. Then sit back and wait on deer season to open and hope for a cold winter.

Veral, you hunting public land or on private, also see your in central OK, you in OKC, I live down in Elgin just north of Lawton, usually hunt on the family farm but there are some nice public areas down by me but they aren't very big, then there is always Ft. Sill, love hunting out there when I can. With all the rain we've had this summer I'm hoping for a good season.

Vearl said:
Was on the road the last few days. Scouted out an area for deer here in Oklahoma.
Spent about 6 hrs on the ground looking for signs.
Saw plenty of tracks and travelways.
Met a gentleman ( approx. 65 yrs old ) also scouting. He has hunted this area for approx. 30 yrs. Said he never failed to get either a doe or buck every year.
He invited me to his camper for some coffee. Visited for about 2 hrs and had to go. He showed me where he will be camping for the archery and muzzleloading seasons. Showed me some pictures of some deer that he had taken there. Invited me to camp next to him in the same area. Took his phone number and gave him mine.
Yes, I have 11 stands out and 3 pop up blinds, and 5 ground blinds got trail cam pics almost everyday of a very nice 10 pointer. Opening day for traditional muzzleloading (no inlines on post for this season) season on Ft Riley here in Kansas is Sept 16th

Got over 800 pictures in 4 days. Groundhogs, raccoons, coyotes, does, and several giant bucks, looked like the "Milk River", or Pike County Ill., We have 40 acres of soy beans, and a corn feeder, (which is legal, until Sept.)I'm like a kid waiting on Christmas. The beans will get cut, and the deer will move over on the neighbors property, heading for the surrounding white oak flats, and we'll have to wait for one of the big boys to chase some does. That's the way it works every year.

Meanwhile I'll keep shooting the Flintlock, until I am confident enough, to leave the modern guns at home.

Coming back from the muzzleloading shop this morning I almost ran a nice buck over on route 173 near Grove City....does this count! He he he... That buck looked at me :shocked2: I looked back at him :shocked2: and he flinched first! :v

Latest posts

Back