• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Fowler first

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have almost finished an English Fowler, a few little details to work out but plenty useable.

I had a terrible time getting it to shoot a round ball accurately until I went back and reread some loading info Wattlebuster sent me. When I loaded what he recommended my 1 foot groups at 25 yards shrunk to a couple of inches or less. Time to take the gun to the woods.

My fowler has a 12 ga Colerain 38" barrel jug choked by Caywood. My load was 100 gr of 1F, a .690 ball wrapped up in a .024 ticking patch.

I went to a log blind on a bench below a grown up field just because I hadn't been there in a couple years. The logs had deteriorated but there was still enough height to hunker down behind and be hidden.

I like afternoon hunting and settled into the blind abut 2:30 yesterday afternoon. 15 minutes later this buck came out of the bedding area, down the ridge and turned broadside at 25 yards.

Pretty sure the "jumped the string" on my first shot as I spined him with a high shot, I had a slight hang fire.

He was thrashing around a bit, after having the last one come to life and run off I reloaded quickly and put one through his neck to finish him off, done deal.

You got a buck with it before it's even finished. Just think what will happen once it's "right". :thumbsup:

A .690 ball can put a big hurting on a deer.

Eric Krewson said:
I went to a log blind on a bench below a grown up field just because I hadn't been there in a couple years.

Have you sometimes felt like something just "tells" you where to go for the hunt? Many times I've just let my mind drift through the years of hunting experiences/places and something in my head just suddenly says "Go here!" And bang....a dead deer.

Congrats! What a great way to break in a new gun...especially a beautiful one you created with your own two hands. :hatsoff:

Mike

:hatsoff:
Congratulations on the buck and nice fowler!

This is the way to go - the gun not even finished :grin:

Silex

Back