• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Fowler triggers all too heavy?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I am looking for feed back by smooth bore shooters about their triggers for production and custom guns

I have a JB Virginia style fowler flint and the trigger is very heavy.

My rifles have set triggers of course and I am not expecting the fowler (single trigger) to be like them. But I have to change expressions and make that noise I make in the morning to get it to go off. :surrender:

1)What are yours like (any maker) heavy, medium, or light (approximate trigger weight).

2)Does the trigger wear in?

3)If not can this be corrected ( if so by who)?

I admit little whimsical exaggeration in paragraph two. Any feed back would be greatly appreciated.

All depends on who builds your gun and whether or not they know what they're doing. I usually set up my single triggers at 3 lbs more or less. I pin mine high in the wood and about 3/8" ahead of the sear. I'd call your builder and arrange for him to fix it.

I set my Fusil trigger fairly stiff as I went on the assumption that the originals may have been done like that being massproduced so to speak and I try to keep as close as I can to the originals I found that it was not hard getting used to no more than the plain vent hole, I just am not convinced that the triggers were set very light on trade guns and low end hunting guns "de Chase" I may be completely wrong, a well built to fit fowler was likely another thing altogether

My Caywood wildon is light, 3 pounds or less this is based on a pistol That I know has a 4 pound pull.

PGTMG said:
But I have to change expressions and make that noise I make in the morning to get it to go off. :surrender:

:rotf: :rotf: :rotf:

I gotta remember that one! I have a couple guns like that. :thumbsup:

I like a smoothbore trigger to be heavy enough to be able to feel through a glove. I think that since these were all hunting guns that their trigger pull was heavier than the set triggers by a long pull. I've always thought that set triggers were for the rich plantation owner that wanted to be able to outshoot his neighbors. The middle sort wanted something with fewer moving parts and less expensive.

You can reduce the pull by yourself. There are some easy things that you can do, but it helps if someone shows you how to do it. Polishing the internals is a first step, polishing where the trigger and the sear connect can help too. Messing with the full cock notch can be done, but it definitely requires a practiced hand. You can go from too heavy to too dangerous in couple of strokes with a stone.

Many Klatch

i agree with Mike Brooks (it isn't hard, since he really knows his stuff). if you're interested in how the geometry works, check out Peter Alexander's chapter on triggers in The Gunsmith of Grenville County- you will have, i am sure, a lightbulb moment (at least i did).

good luck in your quest for truth, fulfillment, or (at the very least) an appropriate trigger pull.

msw

Can't be too hard to pin a good trigger because I have done it. :grin:

I would bet that PGTMG has a trigger/plate combo on his JB gun.

Swamp Rat said:
My Custom Fowlers trigger a very nice, just over 2 lb pull.

Mine would be just over 2 lbs as well, on Pluto.
:wink:

Thank you all for your advice. I am going to try to work with or fix it myself (after reading the the suggested book of course). Honestly do not want to send it back after just getting it.

Keep you eyes peeled for a new thread titled "How to fix a broken sear, lock, and trigger" coming soon. :v

Thx Paul

If your trigger is pinned through the bar there isn't much hope. Unless of course you get a new trigger and pin it way high in the wood.

Mike Brooks said:
If your trigger is pinned through the bar there isn't much hope. Unless of course you get a new trigger and pin it way high in the wood.

Mike, Can you post a picture showing the best spot to pin the trigger? Thanks

Just wonderin', but who's lock is in that thing? Could also lighten up the sear spring...may be that the spring is overly stiff...

BLAHMAN said:
Just wonderin', but who's lock is in that thing? Could also lighten up the sear spring...may be that the spring is overly stiff...

The lock is a Siler lock. Is it possible that the trigger is pinned through the lock? I am going to take apart tonight.

Back