• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

French Flintlock signed PAUL BREITENFELDER ca.1750

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hawkeye1755

54 Cal.
Reaction score
Total length1360mm, barrel length 970mm, weight 3237g, caliber 15,3mm
Made by Paul Bretenfelder, Bohemia, Carlsbad, around 1750.
The steel barrel is cylindrical, transferring to octagonal. In the breech part, there is a master sign engraved in the brass /Paul/Brei/den/fel/ter under a crown. On the tongue of barrel ring around the master sign, and in the breech part, there is decoration made as a combination of hallmarking (grooving) and engraving-floral motives with belts, the surface is gilded. The same decoration pattern is used on the orifice. The hole around touchhole is protected by a plate made of gold. The bead is made of brass, drop-like, firmly fixed into the stock’s body. The lock and the cock are flat-type, decorated with a first-rate engraving with profound back. On the lock plate there is a deer hunt. The pan cover, the pan and the top jaw of the cock are also decorated. The inside of the pan cover is gilded. The stock is made of quality walnut wood of a nice red like shade, decorated with stylish belt carving in a combination with rococo motives. The carvings are well preserved and have sharp edges. The front stock is finished with a horn boot. The garniture is made of spilled damascened brass, gilded in fire. The forging on the stock’s ridge, which surrounds the tongue of barrel ring, is typical for work from Carlsbad. The decoration is half relieve-plastical. On the lock back plate there is Turkish war motive-riding fight with necessary tents and drums in the back. The hunting Goddess Diane with two dogs is on the boot. There are three ramrod pipes, two are fixed with the aid of pegs to the front stock and the third one is fixed to the stock in its last third, towards the orifice. The ramrod is wooden, finished with a horn stumper shaped as a cone. The trigger is made of iron, tongue-like, finished with a volute.
foto_202_1191188589.jpg

foto_202_1191188530.jpg

foto_202_1191188450.jpg

foto_202_1191188334.jpg

foto_202_1191188261.jpg

foto_202_1191187793.jpg

foto_202_1191187854.jpg

foto_202_1191187922.jpg

foto_202_1191188108.jpg

foto_202_1191188180.jpg

:hatsoff:

French? at a glance with the cheekpiece and stock architecture I would not have thought so, interesting and beautiful gun.

tg said:
French? at a glance with the cheekpiece and stock architecture I would not have thought so, interesting and beautiful gun.
:confused: :redface: :doh:

tg, you are absolutely right.French, that is B.S.
Bohemia and Carlsbad was never French.
My fault. :cursing: :cursing:
It must be 'Bohemian', not French.
Any chance to change that.

I took the text from an auction-house without thinking. :surrender:

:hatsoff:

No problem, it did get me thinking and looking thru Lenks work and it never hurts to think and check resorces..except the thinking part hurts anymore.

Undertaker,
Does it say whether the triggerguard and the buttplate are covered with gold amalgum? I can see that the pan is lined. I could assume that the furniture is so brite because the surface is gold.
volatpluvia

I think "French" was just a typo, or it might refer to the lock being a "French flintlock" type.

Back