• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

French Matchlock

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

musketman

Passed On
Reaction score
ex018_18a.jpg

Matchlock Petronel
French, ca. 1570-80

Almost four feet long, this gun derives its name from the French word for breast, poitrine, since the butt had to be pressed against the breast when the gun was fired...

What else can you add about this type of matchlock?

Musketman:

I can only add that it lasted only during the 16th Century and was not popular due to certain painful reasons.

Syke's Sutlery actually offered that type of gun for sale too. Just thinking of firing a Petronel makes my chest hurt!

This accounts for some of the pained expressions seen among the French. No wonder they surrender so quickly.

Bang! "Sacre Blu!"

Are you sure it's not just a pistol for a reeealy big Frenchman?

Paol deBon-yan? Jean LeHand?

I can add nothing about the matchlock, but the method of placing the butt against the breats bone is very valid.
I learned this technique in one of my many firearms instructors classes years ago and it is a prefered method for clearing rooms and buildings. It makes for a great "instinctive" shooting method for close range social intercourse.
Definately NOT recommended for heavy recoiling weapons i.e. a 12 gauge with slugs. Bad idea.

Back