• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

frizzen rubbing barrel

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

t-buck

36 Cal.
Reaction score
ok guys
this is the first rock lock i have built
just starting and have the lock inlet when i put the barrel in and snugged the lock bolt down i found out that the frizzen was rubbing the barrel
lock bolt is just snug not real tight
qoestion is should i remove some off the frizzen so it will clear the barrel or do i need to do this another way
the pan is tight up against the barrel like it should be
thanks for any help or suggestions
t-buck

It's easy enough to do. Take the frizzen off the lock and stone the side until it no longer rubs the barrel.

Leo

Just take a few thousands off. Only the area that is hitting. Stone it or grind it off. Metal file won't cut it.

Keith Lisle

thanks old salt and birddog
that was what i was thinking but wanted to check here to make sure
this is the first flinter i have built and was not sure if that would be the way to go about this
thanks again
t-buck

I don't want to step on any toes, but make sure the lock is SQUARE with the barrel first.

You're not stepping on toes. he asked for suggestions. I should have mentioned all ideas I had on it, but went with the simplest...

I think either the barrel is canted, the lock is canted, or the lock builder forgot to true up the frizzen to the bolster.

However, since it is his first build, & he has a good fit at the flashpan/barrel, easiest thing to do it take a few thousands off the frizzen, rather than try to change the fits he has, Especially if the barrel is off just a smidgen.. And that could well be the case.

Much easier & works just as well to take a few thousands off the frizzen, IMHO, than to inlet the lock more & possibly screw up the fit at the flashpan he as achieved.

Now if he had built several & was accustomed to inletting locks, yes, I would say get the lockplate parallel with the barrel flat.... IF the barrel is in correctly.

Keith Lisle

PS: And I have had a couple lock years ago, that the lock builder forgot to true the frizzen to the bolster evenly & the frizzen hung out a few thousands. :hmm:

hey guys
best as i can tell the lock and barrel are square
thanks for bringing this up i would not have thought of it
checked the frizzen this evening and it appears to have a casting seam on it that was not cleaned up when the lock was put together but again i did not think of that before i posted this question
i want to thank all for their help and suggestions i am sure that more will come up before i finish with this
al i can say is that the people here are a great bunch and i enjoy reading and learning form your previous experiences
thanks again
t-buck
ps have to go out of town for a couple days so work on this will be held up will update when i get back

Ahhhhhhhhhh...... :wink: this is GOOD !! Real easy fix too.....

:thumbsup:

Keith Lisle

update
hey guys took me longer than i planned to get back to work on this had some real world issues come up
made it out to the shop this morning and worked on the lock stoned the side of the frizzen no rub left opens at about 4 and 1/2 pounds according to my trigger pull gauge
is this about right too much or too little

and since i had the lock apart i decided to stone all the areas where a rub might be kinda tune it up
sorry don't know all the tech names for the parts

just want to thank you for the advice i am sure that i will be asking more as time goes by
hope all had a good thanks giving
t-buck

it needn't be held down too hard. the frizzen spring should be strong enough to just keep the frizzen in place.

Back