• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Gameland target shooting

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
So... I'm getting ready to move to an area which doesn't really have a relevant range for BP, I'm living in an apartment, don't know any folks with farms or anything and I'm looking for options.

There are some local gamelands. Some have specific regulations against target shooting, but one doesn't.

Presuming I'm properly trained (I've signed up for a class...), licensed, not out when other folks are doing any serious hunting (so's not to bother them/scare away game... trying to avoid any faux pas) and using correct safety procedures... can I go out on gamelands, mark off 50 yds. and shoot?

Their's an open season on groundhogs -- can I just keep "missing" groundhogs and hitting paper? Over and over? Otherwise, I'm kinda low on options for a while.

Thanks!

jderrick said:
So... I'm getting ready to move to an area which doesn't really have a relevant range for BP, I'm living in an apartment, don't know any folks with farms or anything and I'm looking for options.

There are some local gamelands. Some have specific regulations against target shooting, but one doesn't.

Presuming I'm properly trained (I've signed up for a class...), licensed, not out when other folks are doing any serious hunting (so's not to bother them/scare away game... trying to avoid any faux pas) and using correct safety procedures... can I go out on gamelands, mark off 50 yds. and shoot?

Their's an open season on groundhogs -- can I just keep "missing" groundhogs and hitting paper? Over and over? Otherwise, I'm kinda low on options for a while.

Thanks!
Might want to make a call to the Wildlife Department and ask them...the one you referenced may just be an oversight...the new Gamelands Books are are now available too in case you were looking at an old one.

Well, I shot them an email at the address on the NCWildlife website ~4 weeks ago and never got a response. So I shot them another one this morning... kind of a wierd question, I guess.

I checked out the gameland regulations .pdf on their website and it seems kosher, but I agree I'd like to get that down for sure before having to explain my reasoning to an unhappy wildlife agent....

Thanks!

Which game land are you palnning to shot at. Are you dead set against going to a range or do you just not want to pay the range fees?

Hello from Laurinburg,

Let me tell you from experience. Do not go target shooting in the gamelands! You will get a ticket and could possibly get your gun confiscated. I don't know how far you want to drive but you can go to the Uwharrie National Forest and shoot at the Flintlock Valley Range, if it is still open. Also, you can go to Camp Milestone, located north of Rockingham. It is open to the public on Weds, Fri, Sat, and Sun 1-5pm. Cost = $5.00. It is a 4-H camp run by UNC but very gun friendly. Currently the range is only 50 yards but they are building a 200 yard range. They also have trap shooting range and archery.

PA has public ranges at some of there game lands....don't have to worry bout paying to go.............bob

I don't mind ranges at all. Where I used to live I had a very good, safe, public, free 100-yard range a little over 20-minutes away and I was there twice a week. But if I have to pay $100 a month or so or drive hours each way... I'll just wind up playing more golf. Or bowling.

With regards to which gamelands, Jordan Lake and Butner both have regulations against target shooting. Harris specifically does not. Currently NCWildlife operates one range, at Cold Mountain, a ways out of my driving range.

I'm a good, lawful outdoorsman (lifetime NC fishing license in my wallet - got tired of shelling out $30 each year) and certainly don't want a ticket or my rifle confiscated. But it'd be nice if along with all the slick, indoor pistol ranges and expensive clubs there were a few simple dirt berms and NCWildlife folks who'd answer their email and be as helpful as this forum.

Boy am I glad that I live out West! While I do belong to a local shooting club with several ranges, there are plenty of other options. To the West is the Coast Range, to the East is the Cascade Mountains, and they all have private, State and National Forest lands with little or no restrictions. Of course you need permission to enter the private lands, but it is pretty easy to get a permit. If I wanted to travel a little bit more, 2 hours away is the Central Oregon desert, with miles and miles and miles of sage brush and rabbits. Almost think I'm in paradise compared with you Easterners... :grin:

Have you talked to the people at the Sir Walter Club or the Creedmoor range. Also a little further is the Wake county Public range but the fees are about $15 per hour butit is all indoors and they let you shoot black powder (I always take new guns there to sight in)

Listen whenever ya go to a new area allways make friends at the local Gravel pit. They are everywhere!! Downtown Boston even has one.

They usually are great to all the shooters and as long as ya police the area they will have ya back. I know here in Historic Concord Ma. Guns are only allowed to be shot with written permision from the land owner. Fortunatly my boss has a huge stack of paper and hates the luney lefties that have moved in.

Well, finally got an email from NCWildlife. Even though it's not illegal in the gamelands regulations, this fellow says it is:

"It is illegal to target shoot on any game lands except on designated shooting ranges - we do not have any shooting ranges...."

If it had been legal I'd have gone through the proper training and licensing procedures, probably winding up with $250 lifetime NC hunting license.

That's $250 I'll now spend at some other range.

Back