• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Getting started building

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JKVirginia

32 Cal.
Reaction score
I've been bitten badly by the 'smithing bug during this refinishing project.... And apparently from what I see here there's no cure, only the palliative of building a new piece every so often. ::

The trouble is i really don't have much of a shop ATM, and I'm curious what you all would consider the comfortable minimum set of hand tools necessary for building kit guns

Thanks!

Jon

That would depend on your definition of "kit". Are you talking "kit" as in Lyman-TC etc. where the thing is more or less assembled in the white and requires finishing?. Then there's "kit" with all the parts and a precarved stock with most but not all of the parts located and inlet IE Chambers, TOTW, Pecatonica river etc, or "kit" as in all the parts, and the wood as a band sawn blank where all of the parts require locating and inletting?. There's a fair difference from "kit" #1 and "kit" #3

Hey, you don't need a shop...... I know a guy that builds his rifles in his bedroom & does an awesome job of it... Couse, I hear his wife gets a lil testy at 2am when he kicks on the drill press or belt sander.... But somehow he has managed to live thu it ! ha ha ha !

A Lyman or T/C "Assembly" kit you can do on the kitchen table with an exacto knife, screwdriver, sand paper & a few files.

If you mean a set of "Parts" to build a longrifle, here ya go.....

You need a good drill, set of drill bits, set of small Nickolson wood files & metal files, a large mill file, 2 or 3 8" or 10" wood rasps (one round & one halfround) a small bench with a vice (can be a fold up portable one), about 3 carving chisels (for intricate fits & inletting), a hammer, screw drivers, small set of punches, pliers, inletting black, sandpaper, a couple of "C" clamps in various sizes, about 2 doz #3 finish nails, Superglue (I like the medium & thick *Hobby Lobby*), Elmers or Tightbond wood glue, a coping saw, a 1/8" - 1/4" - 1/2" wood chisel, a 6" dial caliper (not a must but very handy) and a good rifle kit & you will be on your way. Depending on flint or percussion, you will need a tap & proper drill for the drumb/vent & a countersink bit or is percussion a drum drilling jig. Also making a drill point jig or buying one from Cain's Outdoors is a good idea & may save ya some drilling errors ya can't cover up. Also a 8-32 tap or/and 10-32 tap & appripriate drill bit. Get a set of "Plans" for the rifle to be built, and I sugges the book "Gunsmiths of Grenville County". Now there will be more tools that make things easier, but this is close to all ya need.

I suggest a Chambers Isaac Haines kit or a Dunlap Isaac Haines kit as I know the kits & they are excellent & the precarves are down close to where ya need to go & not much wood to take off. I also suggest you buy ALL of the parts from the same place as this way you KNOW the scokc is partially inlet for the parts you have. (Some stocks are paartially inlet for paarticular parts & use of others may leaves gaps & holes) Also I would insist on a Chambers built lock from his shop. (Lifetime warranty on parts) . Also, I know the wood from either Chambers or Dunlap's place will be excellent.

Good Luck !

Weeeeelll.... let's start slow.

I'd say #1 to maybe #2. I have a reasonable bit of woodworking practice, but as said, don't have access to as much in the way of tools as I'd like to, and any machine shop stuff is right out.

Don't you know that black powder is a progressive disease?

I liked Birddog6's answer, but he forgot to tell you that you need a course, medium and fine stone and oil to keep all of those tools sharp, because they just won't cut if they're dull. You might want to invest in a book on sharpening hand tools. And then there's the exacto knife. Doesn't replace the chisels and rasps, but is good for about a hundert jobs and you throw it away when it gets dull. If you don't have a shop, look for a plan to build a portable rifle bench to put up in your kitchen. [Careful - wives tend to use these things for quilt racks.] I agree that the Gunsmith of Grenville County is a great book. You might want to compare it with Dixon's book or Recreating the American Longrifle.
Finally, if you're in the right location and have the money, there's a great seminar each year in October at Connor Prairie near Indianapolis. Among other things, Jim Chambers teaches a five day course on building one of his kits. Check it out.
Lobster John

Latest posts

Back