• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Getting Started with Flintlock Rifles?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MaverickNH

32 Cal.
Reaction score
I looked around some for some FAQ and links, and maybe should have looked more, but...

I'd appreciate any references, books, articles, FAQs and links on getting started with flintlock rifles. I have a 50cal Traditions Woodsman (Hawken style) rifle on the way and have never shot muzzleloaders or blackpowder before.

Thanks!

Welcome.
And, actually, you are at a pretty good place right here.
Questions usually are about starting load, powder, where to get flints, patches, etc.
I suggest use only real black powder.
Starting load should be about 50 gr. Unlikely you will need to exceed 80 gr.
Track of the Wolf is a very popular, and good, source of most muzzle loading needs. http://www.trackofthewolf.com/index.aspx?AspxAutoDetectCookieSupport=1&as=1&as=1

Others will chime in, I'm sure. Questions? Ask away.

Last edited by a moderator:
The best place I've found is right here on this Forum. :hatsoff: Check out the Shooting Accessories and General Muzzleloading threads. Go back five or six pages and check out what folks have posted. Recently there has been alot of stuff posted for folks just starting out. When I first started I just lurked around for a while learning a lot by just reading the Posts that I needed too. Like what kind of patch lube is best, and patch thickness, etc. BTW welcome to the Forum. :thumbsup:

Forget the books and DVDs. Everything I know I learned from here. Just keep on reading and post questions if you will not find exact answer to your problem. I started reading on this forum a while back and I'm still not through with everything, and new topics pop up every day. Just stay here bro. Good luck!

Maverick, at the top of the flintlock rifles page you will see a topic titled flintlock shooting tips. This is the first place to look, you will see there are several pages of tips and you will find this very useful. After reading this any questions you may have can be found in the search of old topics or ask and many people will try to help with your problem.................watch yer top knot.................

Another beginner! I won't be alone! And from New Hampshire, one of the most beautiful states in the whole country. I tend to do my deer hunting in southern New Hampshire since that is where my sister and brother in law live.

I find that this forum is excellent, and the people here who aren't nice or well informed reveal that quickly. :) The rest is pure gold.

By the way, I learned with lots of wasted effort that the commentators on this forum are correct: start with 40-50 grains and work out your load, then move it up for hunting. If you start at the other end, like I did, you will be coping with too many variables to know what to change.

What a joy this sport is! And you are in the best possible place to hunt. So enjoy! And welcome!

Ya know... as much as it may wear on us seeing and answering the same questions from greenhorns, ya gotta admit that it's great to see so many of them!

MaverickNH said:
I looked around some for some FAQ and links, and maybe should have looked more, but...
Did you see the "Flintlock shooting tips?" topic at the top of this category? It might have some hints.

This forum is the best place for al info on flinters and anything else muzzleloading related. Welcome to the forum

Back