• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Gibbs .40 cal.?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jlwwade

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Anybody having any luck with the fast twist .40 cal. Gibbs rifle? Accuracy(group size) at at all ranges is what I am really intrested in.

Thanks,
James

James: Can you tell us the ROT of the rifling in your gun, and the length of the barrel? How about the exact diameter of the bore?

The Gibbs is normally a conical bullet rifle, not designed to shoot PRBs. It will usually have a fast Rate of Twist(ROT) to stabilize long bullets. Accuracy, depending on the caliber and bullet chosen can be excellent. Are you shooting open sights, Peep sights, or a Scope on that rifle? It makes a difference on group sizes.
What Ranges are you wanting to shoot it over?

The first Gibbs on the market was in .40 cal and had a twist of about 1:24. It was intended for the 100m target shooter market. The 1:18 twist .45 cal was next which filled a nice gap in the long range market for an affordable full match rifle.

Later developments came from the breech loading market where .40 cal rifles had been used at long range. Pedersoli introduced the .40 cal 'fast twist' rifle with 1:16 twist. It is not intended to be a PRB rifle. According to the marketing at the time of the launch it would be good to 1000 yards.

Having said all that I have never seen one used at the range and only received limited feeback covering mid-range results. None were used at the recent World Long Range Championships.

David

Dave: I am sure that a fast twist, .40 caliber rifle would make a fine 500 yd gun- maybe even out to 600 yds. However, for 1,000 yds, I think you have to go up to a .45 to be competitive. The small bullet, while lighter, and shooting flatter, is still subject to being pushed around by cross-winds at BP velocities. I think that is why the old Buffalo hunters stayed with the .45 and .50 caliber " Big Bore"( 90-120 grain casings) guns and abandoned the .40 and .44 caliber rifles for their long range shooting, too.

Its almost too bad. I much rather shoot the lighter recoiling .40 calibers, than the .45s, or .50s, over a long afternoon. :thumbsup:

Thanks guys,
I shoot a .40-65 to 600yds. without any problems. Accuracy is top notch scoring in the mid nineties if I do my part. I was hoping the 1-16 twist Pedersoli gibbs 40cal.would do as well, and maybe go to 1000yds. with the ability to use more powder in the muzzle loader.
James

James....I'm curious why you just don't get the .45 Gibbs? It is a proven 1000 yd. rifle. It would be a shame to find out that your new .40 cal. Gibbs m/l shooting 430+- bullets just wouldn't hold up at long range. However, If you get a fast twist .40 Gibbs you will be on the cutting edge! Life is short! Go for it and let us know how it works. HA! I KNEW there were a bunch of mid-long range shooters in this forum just waiting to come out of the closet! cheers Paul

Back