• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

gobbleritius

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AkDan

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Well its another fun year. We managed to hit the weather perfect for our first leg. Dad had some issues this spring. It was after the 2nd bird he missed he asked if I noticed if he put shot in. Later that day he had me hang onto his double while he was digging for something when I noticed shot rolling out the end of the barrel ?!?!?! It was a little too late, we called in birds but nothing close enough. I managed to tag out fairly early. A jake at 5 steps with my gun pointed at his head..hmm, who could resist? I cant LOL! and a longbeard the next morning. 2nd leg took me back to PA. There are birds in that state..but holy heck.........................! thats all I can say about that! LOL. I did manage to shoot a jake in the fog. 3 years thats the first legal bird I've seen in the woods, I wasnt going to pass! I did play cat and mouse with a few gobblers. It sure would be nice to see some changes till the numbers come back. I heard the numbers crashed around 02/03 time frame and havent really rebounded. Anyways, enough blabbing, I'll trying get a few pics posted.
942693_4772305107512_321128962_n.jpg

I left alaska for more of this?!?!?! day one we left the farm in this
970477_4772276506797_2042254248_n.jpg

The special sauce for 03 with a shed found in the garden this spring.
21317_4772295707277_533513374_n.jpg

Sounds like some good memories for sure, congratulations!
:thumbsup:

(And the photo of your Dad wading barefoot will become priceless)

Great pictures with your daughter and dad! Maybe a couple of over shot wads would fix the shot from rolling out of the barrel :rotf: . Nice birds also!

Thats a dixie pedersoli 10ga, cyl.mod barrel no screw ins. 105gr rs 1 5/8 copper plated 5's. Once we had the miss fire issue fixed (cheap nipples) shes been pretty reliable and quite the thunderchicken piece. I cant say much for it on geese yet. So far steels not proving itself. I'm hoping I can find some nice shot to pattern this summer for this fall.

Dads shooting something from the 1870s. I cant remember but I think its belgian, I had posted pics 5 or so years back trying to ID it and now, well I forgetted ;). The wrist broke he repinned it, the bores are rusted through and through and she's a shooting machine. He did rework the hammers but so far the ignition on it's been great compared to mine. This is the first year I can remember him having any issues with it. He does have to cut his os cards himself as his bores are slightly off of what he's been able to find. I think somewhere along the line between my little brother, dad, and myself, some OS cards may have gotten mixed up ;). He did manage a nice longbeard in the snow in MN after I left with one of my nephews. I'm hoping I can get the chambers newengland folwers finished, jugged, and patterned before next spring. I've been tinkering with it off and on for...well awhile now. he still has no clue about it. I'll post pics of my crude attempt at a build in the near future. I need to finally get the garden going, bees are in and a host of other small projects before I can 'play'.

I'moping I can get the little one to sit still enough next year to tag along. We went out hooting one evening, to no avail. Do pa birds really gobble? or is that the DnR with recorders placed randomly in the woods LOL! She had fun regardless. I'm thinking a partial blind she can just see over. Do you think the birds would mind her pink camo?!?!

11 months..... :shocked2:

Spike, snow is MN, the pink partner is PA, the creek/longbeard pic is a completely different state. There was snow most of the way to the MO border both ways last spring.

AkDan said:
Thats a dixie pedersoli 10ga, cyl.mod barrel no screw ins. 105gr rs 1 5/8 copper plated 5's. ... I cant say much for it on geese yet. So far steels not proving itself. I'm hoping I can find some nice shot to pattern this summer for this fall.
Please forgive me if I'm belaboring things you already know, but you should be able to get a head start by working up your waterfowl load with hard lead shot of similar size, and it would save cost. When you think you've found the load, then fire a few patterns of the Nice Shot for verification or possibly fine tuning, but everyone that I've heard from has found that the load worked fine as-was except that the Nice Shot patterned a bit tighter.

Regards,
Joel

Back