• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Goex fffg for 12 gauge?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

billy mims

32 Cal.
Reaction score
I have been using Pyrodex RS but alot of people on here like Goex . Some also like fffg so thats what I bought. Faster, cleaner, sounds good to me. I read that you use 10% less but then I read that you should use 15% less. Is it safe for the shotgun and how much should I cut back? I'm using 80 gr but was thinking of going up to 90gr of RS. Should I leave it at 80gr or drop back to 70gr? I use 80gr for shot and for RB.
Thanks Billy

Glad to hear your getting back to basics with real Black Powder. FFFg in a 12 ga. strikes me as a bit fine. I use FFg in my 20 ga. I've even seen recommendations for Fg for 12 ga.

As for load, the rule of thumb that was given to me by some serious shooters is to use the same volume of powder as shot when using FFg. The easiest way to do this is use the same measure for both. How much depends on the gun. Most likely somewhere between 1 and 1 1/2 oz. in 1/8 oz increments or 2 1/2 and 3 1/2 drams in 1/4 dram increments in traditional measurements.

I use 90 grains of 3f in my Brown Bess, and have for years. I believe the 70 grains of 3f will be ok.

My old pappy used to ask me, "Just because someone else sticks his hand in the fire, does that mean you need to?" Without knowing the particulars on your gun I would hesitate to give you a firm OK on an fffg load in your 12 bore. It has become very common lately for folks to put fffg in everything (heck this last weekend we used some in our CW cannon at a reenactment when we ran out of fg). I personally use ffg in big bore guns. But you can stick your hand in the fire if you want to....

Use what ever amount patterns the best.
By the way, I shoot 3fff in all my big bores, and they all vary on what load they like the best.

Mike Brooks said:
By the way, I shoot 3fff in all my big bores, and they all vary on what load they like the best.

That is the key. Most well-made modern BP firearms can handle fffg, but some like ffg better as far as accuracy or pattern goes.

I've been shooting ffg in my shotguns for over 30 years now, never had any reason to change. When I'm at the skeet field, you can tell the guys that use fffg, they have a sharper sound when they go off.I've been told this is due to increased pressure that the fffg makes, but I have no proof. I like the old ka-whoom my old doubles make. I've never seen any ml shotgun blow-up, but I have no reason to tempt fate. Just proofed two doubles, 10 and 11 gauge, with 2 1/2 ounces of ffg by volume and the same of shot, never fazed them.....

It seems like for some of us flintlock shooters it's just easier to buy one powder to use for main charge and priming so 3fg get's the nod from me. I plan on using 80grs of 3fg in the 75cal musket that I'm getting and a like volume of shot(should be 1 1/8 oz IIRC.), it just keeps things simple that way. Good luck. :thumbsup:

Mike Roberts said:
Mike Brooks said:

That is the key. Most well-made modern BP firearms can handle fffg, but some like ffg better as far as accuracy or pattern goes.

Like my Grand Dad said about his marriage to Grand Ma. "Its all about the pressure."

The finer the powder (fffg vs ffg), the higher the prerssure.

For smothbore fowlers, rifles and tulles... "Well if it don't knock ya down when ye shoot it. Give er a try"

But double shotguns have thinner barrels, and a lot of the custom builders like to use old Dimascus barrels.

If the 12 gauge has thin walls like some of the old Navy Arms and Pieta Shotguns, you may be wise to stay with ffg. You can get the same bang, even increase loads with lower pressure.

Why beat that sweet lady to death?

Just my thoughts

I maybe wrong about this but I think I read on the Goex web site a statement made by this guy who was pushing Goex that the ffg was to coarse for him. It could not be measured correctly and for that reason he recommended using fffg for all calibers. He was not bad mouthing Goex just saying fffg was better. I assume he was a pro and knew what he was talking about. I cain't find this on their site now.

All the adjustable powder measures sold are calbrated for FFg powder, and not FFFg powder. They throw even charges by volume, which is what they are intended to measure. They do not throw powder by weight. The markings on the measures are like the notes for " Dram Equivalents" on modern shot gun shell boxes, and cartridges. The markings merely indicate that the volume show is the equivalence to some measured weight of powder, more or less.

If you want weighed powder charge, weight them on a scale, put them in separate containers, and use them at the bench or in the field. Leave the adjustable or other volume measures at home.

If you ever reloaded using the Lee Loader dippers, you have a better idea about the weight? volume problem. The guy may get weights that are closer to the indicated weight equivalence using a current batch of FFFg, and because it is finer grained, the loads may be more consistent for that particular batch of FFFg. However, a different batch, or even the same batch after the powder has been knocked around in the can, or in a powder horn, producing more " fines ", may not throw such a consistent load at another time. Even the relative humidity can alter the volume of a given powder from day to day.

Latest posts

Back