• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Going Back to Trad. ML

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

maddog2

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Hi All, first post here tho I spent the whole weekend reading all the posts on this forum! I used to do a little buckskinning[yrs. ago], and started deer hunting with a ML back about 1978. My first rifle was a CVA Big Bore Mtn. Rifle. Prolly killed 18-20 deer with that rig. Also had a ML shotgun, and a dixie .32 cal mtn. rifle, flintlock, back in the early 80's. About mid 90's I got away from ML and Trad. archery, after a divorce :( Tried a couple of inlines deer hunting, but sold them both. Been mainly deer hunting with a shotgun for the last 15 yrs.

My boy said something about blackpowder/camping, and I got to thinking about the old days and how much FUN it was. Well, I'm getting the itch to get back into trad. ML[with REAL black]!

My thoughts are leaning toward a flintlock squirrel rifle, but you boys with them smoothies have got me to thinkin.... I want to do a little primitive camping, and thought the squirrel hunting is a sweet layed back way to enjoy the prim side of hunting again. I don't think I want to get back in to R'vouing again, but am thinking about getting my version of PC together for my needs. My question is, does anybody know where I might find a Dixie Tenn. Mtn. squirrel rifle [.32 flintlock], again for a semi reasonable price? No huge hurry, cause my $$'s are tied up right now in going to Africa, with my son on a plains game hunt, next July.

Anyway, just wanted to say howdy, and sure enjoy the pics of your primitive hunting camps.

Mad Dog

Welcome back Maddog,
Nothin better than to smell BP in the morning, noon or nite! I'm a traditional type. Mostly period flintlocks, started back in the 60's. Squirrel hunt with my 40 and deer hunt with 45 and 50 cals.
At my age, my hills are getting steeper, must be erosion? Need help getting deer drug out.
Good luck finding a 32cal.and hunting in Africa,
Deacon

Maddog,
You see,One might leave the sport for awhile but it never leaves your Blood.Does it?Check out the classifieds here on this site.I haven't been there for awhile but I have got a few usefull things here overe the years./
Welcome back and looking forward to seeing you here from time to time. :thumbsup:

Back