• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Golden Round Balls

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

musketman

Passed On
Reaction score
Anyone ever use these?

Remington offers a Premier Golden Lead Round Ball for the muzzleloader shooter.

I have seen these and was wondering, is the "Brass" plating a sales gimmick or does it offer an advantage that eludes me at this time...

Remington states: "Brass plating allows cleaner handling and reduces barrel leading."

I could only imagine the looks you'd get from the die-hard modern mountain men when you show up at a rendezvous with gold balls.
shocked.gif

Anywho, what do you think about them?
Does it make a difference?

http://www.remington.com/NR/exeres/00001341uveuopdvmqbrrfzs/RemArms+Rich+Product.asp?NRMODE=Published&NRORIGINALURL=%2fammo%2fblackpowder%2fbpgldnld%2ehtm&NRNODEGUID=%7bD0C24199-90 FA-424D-AC5D-146E25F55E20%7d&NRQUERYTERMINATOR=1&cookie%5Ftest=1

I bought hundreds of rounds of them from Walmart because they were $4 a hundred, .50 cal, but haven't shot any yet. I like the fact that you are touching brass, not lead, I think it's safer as far as lead poisening goes.

Never heard of them but "reduces barrel leading"??? The ball never touches the barrel. Might reduce patch leading <G>

Cody

I think they belong on the shelf with snake oil, Dura flints, "natural lube 1000," shotgun primer adaptors, and a multitude of answers to questions that were never asked..... If you consider how simple and non-demanding the needs of shooting a ML are the manufactures must come up with all kinds of stuff to try to make a buck, all you really need is powder, lead, patching, animal or veggy oil, and caps or flints .....doesn't make for much of a product list if you are selling ML gear does it?

mighty perty balls to be stuffin down the smoke pole! wonder what the tradin value would be with the sutler at the spring rendezvou?

Havent seen these balls at any of the local shops or wally world. Only a couple shops even carry the regular Hornady round balls, so I dont expect to see any fancy ronds anytime soon. My area is mostly geard for the inline community during the hunting season.

Now these sound like a good idea for the cap-n-ball pistol shooter, since the lead ball actually makes contact with the steel throat and barrel.

Regulis7

I have used and will us them when I can get them. I never had any problems with them. One of the members of our group uses them all the time. I like them.

I like to shoot a lot of shots every trip to the range and Hornady or Sepeer RB's are not cheap.
I don't have the time or interest right now to cast my own, so I'm always on the lookout for RB's at good prices.
If I can catch Remington gold balls at Walmart's year end clearance prices I'll buy every box that I could no matter what color they are...doesn't make any difference ringing steel at 50yds.
But if prices are equal, I'd buy Hornady (or Speer) because the natural lead color just looks...well...natural !

Don't know about golden balls, but I just bought a box of Hornady .535 balls and found every one I checked, about half, to average .004 out of round compared to .002 for Speer. Ok for general use I suppose, but I will use Speer for serious work.

Wick, I've only used Hornady .440's and .490's, but have used both Hornady and Speer in .530's.

I've wondered if I've noticed a difference in old Hornady's vs ones that have been made in the recent couple years.

Can you tell me if the Hornday's you got happened to be in their older rectangular shaped box, or were they in the newer, current square type box?

Thanks

The ones I checked were in a red square cardboard box. Could be that particular ball size or some other fluke in that particular run, but I always check a few balls in every box I buy, and so far I have found speer to always be pretty close, within .002. Considering that all these are swage formed one would think they would be no more than .001 variation especially at their prices. I sometimes cast my own, but often I am lazy.

Back