• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Gone huntin'

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hoochiepapa

75 Cal.
Reaction score
Okay, all these stories have got my juices flowing. I can hear the grouse and rabbits callin'>

After loading all my stuff in the truck, making a lunch, and getting my period togs on, driving and hour, it was snowing so hard I couldn't see the mountain. I saw the dark clouds while I was driving out, but there was no precip in the forecast. I'm going to talk my boss into letting me put the camper back on the truck. I mean, I drove two hours for nothin'! It rained all the way back or I would have gone for some song dogs.

Cmon Mike. Don't let a little snow stop you. I went hunting up by St Elmo yesterday. Snowing like crazy.

Fun stuff.

Mountain men love snow. Easy to track. :wink:

Grouse and rabbits. I also carry a furbearer license in case I see a coyote. Friday is supposed to be sunny, I'll try again.

Yeah, but black powder doesn't! I had a forky bull at about 30 yards one time when it was snowing. I thought I was protecting the lock with my jacket. CLICK!!! Even the cap was soaked. By the time I got back to the truck, water was running out.

Grouse and rabbits. I also carry a furbearer license in case I see a coyote. Friday is supposed to be sunny, I'll try again.

I was looking at Friday too but my Grand son's football game is moved to Friday from Saturday.

I need just a bit more wood for the wife's holiday fires so maybe a combo trip on Sat or Sun.

You don't really need that furbearer license. Your small game is good for furbearers as well. Used to be that you needed it for most furbearers but they have gradually been loosening those regs. I know for sure you don't need it for 'yote, but double check my info on the others. Don't want you trying to collect your fine offa me. :haha:

I carry a furbearer all the time, that way there's no question as to why I'm carryin' a longrifle or a side arm. I like to carry my .32 everywhere. Besides, There "ain't nothin' like carryin' a long rifle into the woods"!
If you go this weekend, what do they say? Make good smoke!

I just got back from hunting above Cottonwood Lake. About 9500ft. Snowing like a mother. I got two squirrels and a beaver. I lost the beaver. It sunk.

I did an experiment today. I was using a caplock Hawken. I made no attempt to keep it dry. I walked around on halfcock with Remington cap. I thought for sure it would get wet, but I wanted to see it.

It fired everytime. The snow was big huge wet flakes too. I'll still worry about rain, but i'm not going to worry about snow anymore.

If you look at my posts, I was hunting with about 3 inches of snow on the ground. I, too, don't worry too much about snow coming down, it's the snow on the branches falling on me and my rifle I concern myself with. Today, I had to replace the cap three times, because the snow had fallen out of a tree and got the lock area all wet. I did'nt want to hear that "CLICK!" at the wrong time.
I didn't get anything, but it was a great time in the woods, and I jumped a bull and two cows.

Mike Brines said:
Ain't it funny how a flat lander can move here and all of a sudden they're mountain men?

Where did you come from?

As for snow falling on the lock. Try this. I never get that.

Carry the gun under your arm with the barrel pointed down. Hold it in your hand at the forend. In other words it's tucked under your arm. The lock is under your arm along with the stock. So, it an extension of your arm. If snow fell off a branch it would just fall on your arm.

Water/snow can't hit the lock or go down the barrel.

I looked like a snowman yesterday, but I never had to replace a cap.

Then again, when your name is Capper. You have control of such things. :rotf:

7702320027.jpg

Here's a pic that shows my grandfather and my great grandparents moving to CO. THat's my grandpa (the boy) next to a small tent with the covered wagon. That's where I come from. My family has been here since the 1880's.
And if you would read posts, you would read that I carry my rifle the way you describe.
Maybe instead of being critical of everybody and praising your self, you should read posts (if you can read) and try to understand others.

Well, if you're going to get all serious on me. I would think you'd know how to protect your gun from snow if you've been here since 1880.

My post was trying to help. I didn't know you were so sensitive.

Sorry, but that's how I am.

btw Was the flatlander comment pointed at me? Just checking.

Back